No announcement yet.

Grapevine: SVs To Be Retrofitted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was surprised too, but that was the answer I received from the staff. I've flown this leg around 20 times in the last 24 months and this is the first time I have ever come across these seats.
    Last edited by SDC; 22 June 2012, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
      I think you may have been on a 77W (777-300ER). AMS is currently getting a mix of 200ER and 300ER planes. The 77W aren't retrofitted- they were originally fitted with those seats. The 772 retrofitted planes can't fly that far and the 773 retrofits, SY* series haven't been assigned to that route. I'm not even sure if they could be distance-wise.
      Nope. The 772s with derated engines "non-ERs" can't make it, neither can the 77As

Also, I'm flying to CHC in December in J. Any idea if the new retrofitted SVs will operating SQ297/8? :

Comment

Originally posted by SDC View Post
        I was surprised too, but that was the answer I received from the staff. I've flown this leg around 20 times in the last 24 months and this is the first time I have ever come across these seats.
        Yes, you were on a 77W (777-300ER). They have been slowly introducing them onto the AMS route a few days a week for the past month or so. The craft you were on was 9V-SWN according to flight24.com and the picture is of a 77W interior. If you've just been flying to/from AMS then they certainly would look different!

The plan was to replace the 772ER on the AMS route with the 77W taken off LHR services, but since they made the surprise announcement of effectively adding an A380 every day to the LHR route, instead of replacing the 77W with a 388, this will now mean the AMS service will revert to the 772ER in a few months and the whole big upgrade to 77W promo they ran is looking very foolish indeed.

Whether or not they will have two refitted 772ER ready to service AMS by then is what we're all trying to work out on this thread

Comment

With the new J products being rolled out in 2013 I wonder if the airline's keen to install a soon to be outdated product on the 77E's. If they do go with the new product I hope we will see the new Y as well. Flying to AMS without power ports in Y is pretty dismal IMO.
          The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Does anyone know for sure if it will be the long haul J product when they do this work please?

Comment

Let's hope it is indeed the new long haul J after being retrofitted. Honestly, with the 77W for AMS reverted back to 772ER after LHR went all A380, I felt that AMS was becoming the next destination to get the dreaded treatment that MEL and CMB went through.

Comment

Well, as it happens, the current 77W flights heading to AMS meant taking MEL's 77W and substituting a refitted 773 on SQ217/8, but at least this time they were upfront about it and listed it on the timetable giving specific dates.

AMS is a bit safer from bad treatment by way of its distance. They can really only send a 772ER or a 77W which is what's happening. Unless of course it's the next destination to be upgauged to a 388...

Could that make a good rumour???

Comment

Hi,

As mentioned in another thread: 9V-SVK hasn't been active since july 28. I assume she's in heavy maintenance? Could this be the first refit of the SV* series?

Comment

Checked SVK on flight24 again and it's now 4 weeks since the last flight.
                    Returned from CPT/JNB on July 28 then nothing.

Comment

9V-SVK seems to be back in service today after 5 weeks (D-check??) Anyone know if she's had a cabin refit?

Comment

Originally posted by IM@AMS View Post
                        9V-SVK seems to be back in service today after 5 weeks (D-check??) Anyone know if she's had a cabin refit?
                        We'll have to ask one of the New Zealanders on their way from CHC.

Comment

No indication yet as to whether SVK got a new cabin product in her 5 week absence from flying? I haven't seen anything..

Comment

Since 9V-SVK returned to service, 9V-SVL has been out of service.

Comment

Maybe it takes about 5 weeks to upgrade 1 plane? perhaps this is part of the retrofitting program for 777-200 ER?

Comment

Originally posted by jupiter View Post
                                Maybe it takes about 5 weeks to upgrade 1 plane? perhaps this is part of the retrofitting program for 777-200 ER?
                                5 weeks is a bit long for just a cabin upgrade. It is however the right length of time for a D-check, which would make sense, as both aircraft are about 10 years old, so due for their 2nd D-Check. Plus I don't know of any other regular event that takes an aircraft out of service for 5 weeks..

As a D-check involves completely stripping an aircraft to the bare fuselage, i'd say that if they don't refit the cabins at that time, they're unlikely to do it anytime soon.. That's why i've been following this and why i'm curious if SVK has a new interior.

Comment

Working...
                                X