Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I be disappointed with Singapore Airlines???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I be disappointed with Singapore Airlines???

Greetings all,

Long time member…… first time poster.

I have just got home from a bit of an experience with Singapore Airlines, and I am not sure if am feeling angry or relieved that the experience is over – or perhaps I am merely just a whinger.

The story starts like this last Saturday I flew from Melbourne to Singapore and then onto Bangalore, when I collected my hard-suitcase it was cracked on the front right had corner. On the following day I emailed Singapore Airlines to inform them of the issue and never got a response back. Fast forward to Friday after a great week in Bangalore when I go to check in for my flight with Silk Air back to Singapore, I get told you have “no booking”, your not Mr/Mrs XXX as you should be, you have cancelled your trip, your credit card did not have enough funds, we can not help you go away from the check in counter and then have my suitcase off loaded from the scales, and pushed away from the check in area (these are Air India staff). I try within to communicate with them showing them the itinerary with the booking and I then get told by the supervisor to go away we are overbooked.

I then contact American Express the travel agent they tell me that Singapore Airlines have cancelled my flight as I was a no show from the Singapore – Bangalore Leg, the guy from Amex Travel then stays on hold to try and make other arrangements. By this time my fellow colleagues have checked so we then go to speak to the Singapore Airlines supervisor to tell him that I have been informed that Singapore Airlines have cancelled the flight due to me being a “no show”, I show the Passport Stamps and Boarding Card from the previous weeks as evidence that I was not a “no show” he tells me to re-purchase another Business Class Ticket for the 11pm service that evening or he can get me a flight same time on Wednesday!!. Meanwhile my colleagues go to board their flight and I refuse to leave the check in area and end up waiting for 2.5 hours hoping that someone will fail to turn up, then all of sudden the check-in counters close I go to the Check In operated by the Silk Air supervisor and ask if there is any chance of a seat I bring my paperwork (the stuff I have been showing basically anyone I could) he goes on to tell me that Singapore Airlines cancelled the flight due to me being a “no-show” he then gets me a seat (on the flight I had booked) books my suitcase to Melbourne but no boarding pass for Singapore-Melbourne leg, he tells me find someone at Singapore Airlines to sort a boarding pass out. The Silk Air flight was fine but once I hit Singapore I had a feeling that everything was going to go wrong and I was not disappointed. Upon arriving at the security gate without a boarding pass I had to negotiate with the security guards and police to allow me to speak to a Singapore Airlines representative, where I was told flatly “you think your going on this flight but your mistaken” at this stage I am at the end of my tether and I say to the representative that is fine just get me the Duty Manager to speak to, the representative is busy at her computer and basically asks what has happened I tell her (I suspect she is probably not listening and I am probably angry) she tells me yes Singapore Airlines did cancel your entire booking due to me being a “no-show” I then show her the evidence I was on the Bangalore flight and that perhaps her representatives did not conduct a head count to see how many people were on the flight, then just like a miracle I am on with an emergency exit aisle seat.

It was my first time on Singapore Airlines as I frequently travel CX, BA & QF (where nothing like this has ever happened) but I feel disappointed that no one really wanted to listen to my issues, however the supervisor at Bangalore was happy to listen to all the yelling men who were demanding upgrades to Business Class for AUD$50!

If that was not enough drama now back in Melbourne my suitcase is missing…….should I be disappointed at this service? Or am I just a whinger? Do I write a letter of compliant? Or simply be happy that I am back I must admit I did enjoy the Singapore Service any ideas? and does this happen frequently?

Hi Red Popi, welcome.

Yes, I will recommend you write a very detailed but concise letter to SQ. Leave the emotions aside and put in a very factual letter - no embellishments. Then at the closing, let loose and let them know how you feel about it all.

Not sure if you'll get anything out of it apart from a letter.

Comment

Yes, you should write to SQ directly and officially.
      I was in similar situation serveral years back when returning from LA to Singapore. And another time on Singapore to Philippine some 18 months back. I believe this was due to over booking and they try to do some magic on it.

Comment

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
        and they try to do some magic on it.
        Sorry, you lost me there

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
          Sorry, you lost me there
          Is quite clear what airlines will do or offer when the flight is over booked !

Comment

Sounds too dubious to happen in SQ. Either that or certain details are missing.

Comment

If you are from mel as you mentioned you are, you should simply take the legal route. draconian but necessary.

Comment

What concerns me is if SQ say you were a "No Show" on the second leg of your outbound trip, how did your baggage make it to Bangalore? That is a huge security failure, if you were genuinely flagged as a "No Show" in SQ's system.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethor View Post
                  What concerns me is if SQ say you were a "No Show" on the second leg of your outbound trip, how did your baggage make it to Bangalore? That is a huge security failure.
                  Well observed!

Putting that thought into the picture, I think if anything, that's the biggest discrepancy in the whole chain of events.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethor View Post
                    What concerns me is if SQ say you were a "No Show" on the second leg of your outbound trip, how did your baggage make it to Bangalore? That is a huge security failure, if you were genuinely flagged as a "No Show" in SQ's system.
                    This happen in those USA domestic flight when they are over booked. suprised is the bag still go without you. Though this is not allow any more after 911.

Comment

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
                      This happen in those USA domestic flight when they are over booked. suprised is the bag still go without you. Though this is not allow any more after 911.
                      I believe this practice was strictly enforced after the Lockerbie bombings.

Comment

Working...
                      X