Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to JNB on 17 April

Hi everyone,

Making a trip to Johannesburg on 17 April for the first time.
    Flight is at an unearthly hour at 0215hr (SQ478). Anybody here been on that before ? I certaintly hope no meals are served so that I can go to sleep immediately without disturbance (travelling on Y class, tough tough).

As for lounges in JNB, should I check out the Virgin lounge ? or go for the South African airline one ?

thanks for the tip !

Acey

Sorry, I have bad news for you. I flew SQ478 last year and yes despite the time of departure, SQ still provide a meal service following departure. When we left we had to fly through a thunderstorm which further delayed the meal and drink service. I've placed a copy of the menu in the Menu section. Its also the last SQ flight to depart, so T2 starts to get pretty empty prior to departure. Also be forewarned that given the arrival time and the amount of building work taking place at JNB, you may find that the flight has to disembark off stand, which will mean you will be transported by bus to the terminal. Also CX, BA and MH arrive in JNB around the same time so be prepared for a long wait to clear customs. However, it was still a good flight, great in-flight service operated by a 777-200.

Comment

Originally posted by acey View Post

As for lounges in JNB, should I check out the Virgin lounge ? or go for the South African airline one ?

Acey
      SQ uses the SAA lounge at JNB. Years gone by they did use the Virgin lounge.

Besides, Virgin's LHR flight departs during the evening. The SQ flight to SIN departs just after midday therefore the Virgin lounge is closed at this time particular time; discovered this myself in early Jan this year.

On a side note, you have to be a PPS member to use the Virgin lounge.
      Last edited by SQWINGS; 13 April 2007, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQWINGS View Post
        On a side note, you have to be a PPS member to use the Virgin lounge.
        Or a KF Gold customer?
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

That's what I thought..as I've been to the LHR Virgin lounge 3 times, travelling on SQ Y. KFG card gets me in (although one occassion, the lounge dragon had to check her eligibility guidebook as she wasn't sure).

Anyway, looks like I have to settle for the SAA lounge !!

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          Or a KF Gold customer?

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
            Or a KF Gold customer?
            Apologies, my bad.

Comment

Hi folks,

Had a good trip to Johannesburg. Did not manage to find time to visit a safari though. Discovered at a later time that I arrived in JNB one day before President Nathan did !!
              There was a meal service just after takeoff. But it is just a sandwich..not full flown meal service, so it is still possible to keep the chair reclined.
              On arrival, had to walk from plane to terminal building.
              Checked out the South African Airline lounge on departure. Terrible place. They only had a few cold sandwiches for food !!

Originally posted by soak01 View Post
              Sorry, I have bad news for you. I flew SQ478 last year and yes despite the time of departure, SQ still provide a meal service following departure. .

Comment

hi everyone,
                Went to Johannesburg last june.SQ did a light snack service which i believe consisted of a sandwhich and drinks in economy while they had pasta in raffles class.

Comment

soarbeyond, welcome aboard and thank you for the infos you provided.
                  There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
                  If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Originally posted by soarbeyond View Post
                    hi everyone,
                    Went to Johannesburg last june.SQ did a light snack service which i believe consisted of a sandwhich and drinks in economy while they had pasta in raffles class.
                    Welcome to SQ Talk, soarbeyond!

Comment

thanks!:>

Comment

kf and saa

hey all,

in joburg at the mo; took the same flight in from sin; killed the cold sandwich and knocked back a couple and had 9 hours of horrible sleep; in Y.

was curious about which class to fly on saa to be able to earn on kf? voyager members are getting 100% on H,K and Y. but not sure what i'll get with kf?

any ideas?

Comment

What ?? you managed 9 hrs of sleep out of the 10hr+ flight ?
                          That's incredible.
                          The most I could do is 4hrs or so !! (in Y)

Originally posted by dadamax View Post
                          in joburg at the mo; took the same flight in from sin; killed the cold sandwich and knocked back a couple and had 9 hours of horrible sleep; in Y.

any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by acey View Post
                            What ?? you managed 9 hrs of sleep out of the 10hr+ flight ?
                            That's incredible.
                            The most I could do is 4hrs or so !! (in Y)
                            should have been more specific - it was very disturbed sleep; waking up at least once an hour. at least i had an empty seat next to me!

Comment

77W to South Africa?

Any speculation as to if/when the 77W may go to JNB or CPT?

Comment

Working...
                              X