The end of an era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The end of an era

Tonight SQ25 will leave JFK operated by a 744 for the last time, thus meaning tomorrows SQ25 departure from FRA will see the last scheduled SQ 744 passenger service from Europe, after many years of service to various destination on the continent.

I know there are many that will be glad to see the back of them, and I can understand that, but after many years, many flights and many wonderful memories I will be sad to see the back of them. Off the top of my head I have flown an SQ 744 to or from MAN, LHR, ZRH, FRA, CDG, AMS and BRU.

I know it is no longer up to standard in Y and J (although I still like the SpaceBed), but in First it remains the best aircraft in the fleet imho, far better that that dreadful souless F cabin on the 77W, and I even prefer flying it to Suites.

Wonderful words MAN Flyer, thank you. I sincerely hope you have a great flight on SQ25 tomorrow Sir. I have very fond memories of SQ's 744 fleet, although have to admit to not flying it quite as much as you over the years. Say a fond farewell from me please

Comment

The Queen is dead(ish), Long Live the Queen!

Comment

All good things have to come to an end, sad to say

She's left a legacy that won't be easily forgotten. Long live the queen!

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
          I know it is no longer up to standard in Y and J (although I still like the SpaceBed), but in First it remains the best aircraft in the fleet imho, far better that that dreadful souless F cabin on the 77W, and I even prefer flying it to Suites.
          I was glad to have been able to enjoy the 1B experience too!

Comment

A shame, when will the 744 leave the fleet?

Comment

The 744s will be deployed to HKG (between 24-29 Jan) and MEL (till March 25)

9V-SPJ is operating the final SQ26/25.

9V-SKK is scheduled to operate the inaugural A380 SQ26 from Gate B7 tonight. (Subject to changes)
              Last edited by 9V-SPL; 15 January 2012, 09:23 AM.
              Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

I'm glad I caught her one last time in December.

Somewhat belatedly, discovered the joys of 2A ( IFE in my 4A decided to retire early! )

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post
                  The 744s will be deployed to HKG (between 24-29 Jan)
                  Was this part of the plan? I thought it was shelved a long time ago

Comment

Years ago, when SQ began retiring the 744 Megatop, I wish SQ had followed CX's route and refurbished the aging 744s. It's sad that the airline which at one time had the world's largest 747-400 fleet and the 1000th 747 is letting go this beautiful aircraft, replaced by the stumpy A380 and the nondescript 77W.

There may be newer and more fuel-efficient aircraft, but the 747 will always be the graceful queen of the skies.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
                      Years ago, when SQ began retiring the 744 Megatop, I wish SQ had followed CX's route and refurbished the aging 744s.
                      Personally I like the F and J on the 744. They're still among the best in the skies IMO.

It's a different story if they let their own KF members redeem savers on the "new" F and J though...

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                        Found it in the SQ booking system and ExpertFlyer, the 747 will operate HKG route as follow:
                        23 Jan SQ870 SIN-HKG
                        24-28 Jan SQ859/870 HKG-SIN-HKG
                        29 Jan SQ859 HKG-SIN

That means the 747 will stay overnight in HKG

PS: Seems the First Class cabin is sold as Business Class according to the seat map in Expertflyer

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                          These are in lieu of CNY.
                          Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

Tonight SQ25 will leave JFK operated by a 744 for the last time, thus meaning tomorrows SQ25 departure from FRA will see the last scheduled SQ 744 passenger service from Europe, after many years of service to various destination on the continent.
                            Woohoo!!!

...in First it remains the best aircraft in the fleet imho, far better that that dreadful souless F cabin on the 77W, and I even prefer flying it to Suites.
                            The 77W ROCKS!

You knew I wouldn't be able to resist. I know, I know...we agreed to disagree. Sorry for your loss.
                            HUGE AL

Comment

I've enjoyed F on the 747 only once in my life, but have always loved the feel of the J upper deck which will be something I'd miss very much.

Having said that, my last 2 flights were marred by wobbly, tired seats and I do agree that it is best that the aging 747 leave the fleet.

My favourite plane at the moment is the 77W for the privacy of the mini-cabin.

Comment

Working...
                              X