Cabin crew working hours and rest periods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabin crew working hours and rest periods

Just curious, maybe not the right place to ask...
    I just flew SIN-CPH which is 12 hours, landing around 07.00 am.
    The crew was just amazing, happy, smiling, kind all the time.

Do they get a long break to get some sleep during the flight?
    How long is their break in for instance CPH?

I wish everyone working nights could have their attitiude.

should be around 3 hrs

Comment

While there are good and bad crews, I do find that overall SQ cabin crews have been pretty good. Glad you had a good experience.

Yes, good attitude like that is really something special and not what we should take for granted.

I always try to thank good crew members by name at the end of the flight or at crew change.

Comment

Generally flights to States, Europe, Russia, New Zealand & South Africa crew will have their break in between the flight about 2.5 to 3 hours. Their break commences usually after the first meal and end before the second meal starts.

There will be 2 rest shifts usually in rotation.

There is no break for flights to Australia though sometimes there will be 2 meals served for this sector.

Comment

Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
          Generally flights to States, Europe, Russia, New Zealand & South Africa crew will have their break in between the flight about 2.5 to 3 hours. Their break commences usually after the first meal and end before the second meal starts.

There will be 2 rest shifts usually in rotation.

There is no break for flights to Australia though sometimes there will be 2 meals served for this sector.
          Where do the crew rest? crew bunks in the fuselage?

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
            Where do the crew rest? crew bunks in the fuselage?
            Yeah - crew bunks.

I think the only aircraft type which has no bunk is the retro fit 772, which ply some of the Auckland / Christchurch sectors. In this case, the last few rows of Economy Class seats will be blocked for crew rest.

Comment

The 773s and A330s also do not have crew bunks.
              My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

How long will the break be after landing in for instance Europe in the morning?
                Do they get 1-2 days off or have to back to work the same evening?

Comment

I flew SQ 26/25 SIN-JFK-SIN earlier this week. Got the same crew for FRA-JFK vv. So I asked how long was their assignment, and the stewardess said 9 days in all (SIN-FRA (rest) FRA-JFK (rest) JFK-FRA (rest) FRA-SIN!!

Comment

for europe..they normally have 2 nights stay there then work back

Originally posted by crl View Post
                    How long will the break be after landing in for instance Europe in the morning?
                    Do they get 1-2 days off or have to back to work the same evening?

Comment

What would happen if one of the crew falls ill in a foreign city? Are there standby crew?

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                        What would happen if one of the crew falls ill in a foreign city? Are there standby crew?
                        My memory is a little bit hazy on this one, but IIRC, a couple of things can happen in terms of crew.

1. Flight goes minus 1 crew (for example where SQ crew fly in one day and are out the next e.g SYD)
                        2. If in an outstation that has a stay of 2 days e.g AKL - the 2nd day is generally a 'reserve' day - so if there is a crew on mc, another crew member on 'reserve' will be activated to operate that flight.

It's been a few years since I've dealt with SQ in terms of crew hotels so things may have changed - happy to be corrected
                        Last edited by Gunnar Smithsen; 20 March 2011, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Over the last 8-10 years I must have been traveling CPH-SIN over 15 times in J and never had a bad experrience with the crew.
                          It amazes me how professional they are, always cheerful and smiling.
                          Looking forward to my next trip in about 6weeks time. Was tempted to opt for a promotional fare with Qatar about 1500SGD less but absolutely wanted to have my Singapore Airlines feel again (and the oppotunity to upgrade to F with KF miles flight via LHR).

Have never seen where the crew rest area is on the B772ER with Singapore Airlines, but Seat Experts seating map shows a crew rest area just forward of lavatory area and behind row 47. Know they have a pilot crew rest cabin just forward of door 1L. Seats 16 H and K are usually reserved for rotational pilots, for the return flight I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichardenberg View Post
                            Have never seen where the crew rest area is on the B772ER with Singapore Airlines, but Seat Experts seating map shows a crew rest area just forward of lavatory area and behind row 47.
                            It is just below the lavs in the middle of economy.
                            My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Does the crew usually have a hotel at the airport to have their rest after landing or do they have to go into the city?

Comment

Working...
                              X