Ran out of overhead bin space: Asia vs USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ran out of overhead bin space: Asia vs USA

I notice that carry-on size enforcement cultures differ vastly between Asia and the US. Most Asian carriers, SQ included, often have very restrictive carry-on size and weight limits. It has to fit a certain size and not weigh more than this or that.

In the US however, I often see passengers drag trolleys that would otherwise have been deemed too big by any ground staff here in Asia. Americans seem to always say that for as long as it fits on the compartment, then it should be allowed. Here in Asia, airlines would argue that weight limits have to be enforced so as not to overload the compartments. Makes sense.

As a result, in most US flights that are fully-booked or close to being full, they frequently run out of overhead space with only about half of economy passengers having boarded. This is especially true on narrowbody flights. Even laptop trolleys are intercepted at the jetway. This is exactly what happened on my recent Continental flight!

Once I was on SQ and several passengers ran out of overhead compartment space and the FAs allowed them to store luggage at a certain area in the galley. But this was some years ago.

Well I've never been on an Asian LCC, but the Asian major airlines don't charge you for checked bags (AFAIK). Hence why Americans load up their carry ons to avoid paying those additional fees.

Comment

Originally posted by fuu99 View Post
      Once I was on SQ and several passengers ran out of overhead compartment space and the FAs allowed them to store luggage at a certain area in the galley. But this was some years ago.
      Actually, on my most recent SQ flight several months ago, I noticed that an SQ Girl allowed one of the pax to place the carryon in a smaller overhead bin normally used to store extra pillows and blankets.

Originally posted by globetrekker84 View Post
      Hence why Americans load up their carry ons to avoid paying those additional fees.
      True. Typically, the airlines charge you USD $25 per luggage if you check it in. That's why I'm traveling only with a carryon bag this Christmas when I travel GFK-MSP-DCA.
      Such a gentle way about you / All around the world / Wouldn't go away without you / Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly

Comment

I think limit by size plus weight is a better way to go.
        I always worry something very heavy in the over head compartment. So even need another help to put up one of these over weight bag into the over head compartment.

Is crazy.

Comment

Working...
        X