TG Y product + Bangkok Airport Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TG Y product + Bangkok Airport Question

Hey guys I posted a few questions a while back bout TG on their LAX service, and now would like to know what is their Y service in general. I will be hopefully flying the DAC-BKK-SYD sector next month and I have already heard a lot about the DAC-BKK sector (bad, rude service, not nice food, no IFE) but on the other hand, as BKK-SYD is a premium route, how does the service differ? Any recent experience with this? How's the food and the IFE? Most importantly the food (hehe) cuz it's a 9 hour flight, longer than I anticipated it to be. Does anyone know what the menu is like? My parents, again are skeptical about taking TG, as opposed to SQ, but we're on waitlist on SQ, cuz we're travelling during CNY. Any feedback shall be appreciated

Oh and does anyone know whether there is an Apple Mac store in Suvarnabhumi?? I need to buy a new battery for my Macbook, that's why. Thank you!

Don't expect anything and you won't be disappointed. The food will be very average, so eat more before you board if you can. That being said, it's edible. For some, barely. The IFE will keep you entertained so long as you bring your own earphones (the ones they give are rubbish).

There are shops where you can buy Apple hardware but they are only authorised resellers. There's no Apple-branded store. Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks Kyo for helping me out. I just checked skytrax tho, and all the reviews say the catering is very good, especially ex-BKK, but yes, I will try not to expect anything. I have been quietly encouraging my parents to take TG for this trip, so I hope they end up being good, because if they don't the bad travel experience will be blamed on me .. What can you say, aviation freaks like to experiment And also what is basically thought of its IFE? And do they give good meals and snacks in between for this flight, BKK-SYD??

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
        Don't expect anything and you won't be disappointed. The food will be very average, so eat more before you board if you can. That being said, it's edible. For some, barely.
        Gosh, that's harsh. There's a lot wrong with TG, but the food in Y is not that bad - pretty generous portions, and there are always several selections on the trolley (and a number of alternatives not listed on the menu if your preferred choice is out). IME the Asian dishes are better on TG than SQ

Agree that the earphones are not the best quality, but the AVOD on the Aussie routes is touch screen and much more responsive than on SQ, albeit the movie selection is more limited (but enough for a couple of long haul flights)

Comment

Harsh but true, I feel. Seeing as I've tried almost every Thai-inspired meal every other week (sometimes every week) on SIN-BKK, I'd say SQ Y food hands down is better than TG Y - and that's not even comparing with the SFML (seafood meal) that you can pre-book (there would be no contest, SQ would win). Your mileage may vary, I guess. But I find the food rather boring, and presented in a mess. It's almost always a brown muck whether it is fishballs with rice or chicken with noodles. The dessert inevitably ends up having dessicated coconut in there 75% of the time and jello, the other 25% of the time. I have yet to come across a TG Y meal that hasn't oversteamed the vegetables - they are all close to brown (not from the sauce, mind you) by the time they begin meal service.

As for AVOD, SQ has quite a few routes using newer aircraft (77W and A380), with the new Krisworld. This easily trumps any TG IFE, touchscreen or not. And I'll go out on a limb here, even if I may be the only one, that I don't like tapping on the screen. The selections of Krisworld also far outnumber TG's.

Comment

I find the food in TG Y on BKK - Australia flights very good actually, just in comparison to Kyo's experience on the SIN/BKK runs. Good portions, and good quality. Also, the bread basket is very good (compared to the stale bread on SQ Y most of the time), they heat the bread and they come around at least twice with the basket. They also are far better with the drinks service. SQ seem to never come out with the whole drinks cart, only with beer, wine and juice, and it's a CHORE if you order something they don't have with them on the cart (e.g. the signature singapore sling). I am quite sick of the foul looks on SQ F/A's faces when I order a singapore sling in Y actually.
            My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Having flew TG last year SIN-BKK-LHR return, I was impressed with their beverage service (full bar cart even on the short SIN-BKK sector and a very elaborate coffee/tea service similar to biz class) and even a choice of bread (rolls or croissants with additional top ups) for breakfast.

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7572
              My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Thanks guys for all the insight!! I just hope the service is still the levels of ycp81 (great trip report btw), however, I'm wondering how many cost-cutting measures might have been taken up since he flew them. And also, I'm wondering do they serve snacks and everything, like SQ does between meals? I don't really get that hungry when I fly, but am curious to compare! Especially cuz it's a 9 hour flight from BKK-SYD! And how responsive is their IFE?

Comment

Originally posted by SQlankan View Post
                  Thanks guys for all the insight!! I just hope the service is still the levels of ycp81 (great trip report btw), however, I'm wondering how many cost-cutting measures might have been taken up since he flew them. And also, I'm wondering do they serve snacks and everything, like SQ does between meals? I don't really get that hungry when I fly, but am curious to compare! Especially cuz it's a 9 hour flight from BKK-SYD! And how responsive is their IFE?
                  The flight from BKK to SYD has 2 full meals served, how many snacks could you possibly want in a 9 hour period? If you request for a snack you will get it. You will NOT go hungry.

The service is still essentially the same as ycp81's report.

The IFE software is good to very good IMO, however the selection is a little more limited than Krisworld. However, for a 9 hour flight you will find plenty of options.
                  My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by SQlankan View Post
                    A friend of mine wrote a very extensive trip report about the LA Express. While this may not directly answer your query, he provides great insights about the various cost-cutting measures on some of the regional and economy flights:
                    http://www.wings900.com/vb/1-1-civil...ay-l-reno.html

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                      I am quite sick of the foul looks on SQ F/A's faces when I order a singapore sling in Y actually.
                      Perhaps, instead of Singapore Sling they should call it Singapore Scowl
                      Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Just thought that I would let you guys know that I made a small trip report about this flight, and will post it here for all to see I just hope I won't slack off cuz I'm busy with work.. Anyway, watch out for it!

Comment

Looking forward to it.. my next TG flight is next week

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                            Having flew TG last year SIN-BKK-LHR return, I was impressed with their beverage service (full bar cart even on the short SIN-BKK sector and a very elaborate coffee/tea service similar to biz class) and even a choice of bread (rolls or croissants with additional top ups) for breakfast.

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7572
                            Yes, service is good and aircraft is well maintain.

Comment

Originally posted by leo View Post
                              Looking forward to it.. my next TG flight is next week
                              Mine's this saturday SIN-BKK-LAX.

Comment

Working...
                              X