TG F&C - SYD/FUK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TG F&C - SYD/FUK

Hello forum. Please allow my posting such an ignorant question.
    I start planning my twice a year trip to Japan to see my family in May. I think I will stay with SQ in the end, but I would like to try other airlines before I say so

So far I have tried OZ & KE once each, and for me SQ is far beyond from the rest. I must have been caught up with Murphy's law, but I would not fly with OZ for this particular route ever again just because they are usually at least AUD200 more expensive than SQ for both inferior hard & soft products.

This time, I am interested in trying TG despite the many threads mentioning about their inconstancy, TGed, and etc., as I used to be a happy passenger in TG Y.
    Simple reason: cheaper. AUD5,300 (SQ) vs AUD4,400 (TG).
    Then I saw mixed class - SYD/BKK in F & BKK/FUK in C for AUD6,700.
    F is F...

My question: Would it be a worthwhile to give it a try or better simply to try in C?

Any advice, including "idiot!!" would be appreciated.

Thank you

Since it's your first time, give TG a try in F/C. Why not? It should be very nice. How much time do you have as a layover in BKK? Are you going to stopover for a night?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
      Since it's your first time, give TG a try in F/C. Why not? It should be very nice. How much time do you have as a layover in BKK? Are you going to stopover for a night?
      Thank you Kyo. Yes, you are right. Why not? Just do it. As BKK is not for me, I think I will just transit there. Besides that, my Thai friends would kill me if they find out that I visit BKK without letting them know...

Comment

Originally posted by sushiinSYD View Post
        Thank you Kyo. Yes, you are right. Why not? Just do it. As BKK is not for me, I think I will just transit there. Besides that, my Thai friends would kill me if they find out that I visit BKK without letting them know...
        I used to live in FUK and have flown the BKK/SIN-FUK routes many time. As the flights are all over night (leaving BKK and SIN at 01:00 AM the best flight will be the one where the seat is most comfortable to sleep/rest in. TG uses an A330 but you can often have an older configuration. SQ will use a new configuration A330. Also TG is daily, while SQ is 5 times a week. The flight from FUK to SIN or BKK will be in the morning/afternoon so not much need to have seats optimized for sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by QSG View Post
          I used to live in FUK and have flown the BKK/SIN-FUK routes many time. As the flights are all over night (leaving BKK and SIN at 01:00 AM the best flight will be the one where the seat is most comfortable to sleep/rest in. TG uses an A330 but you can often have an older configuration. SQ will use a new configuration A330. Also TG is daily, while SQ is 5 times a week. The flight from FUK to SIN or BKK will be in the morning/afternoon so not much need to have seats optimized for sleep.
          Thank you so so much QSG. You have exactly nailed my point. Even based on my own very limited experience, I do not think there are any airlines to beat SQ's new configuration A330 particularly in this roue.
          Since I am flying to FUK a sort of going home manner, I thought I would be able to manage how horrible the seat would be as long as I could extend my legs time to time (this is why I have to fly in C).

My dilemma is that I am interested in trying TG. Just a extra over AUD1,000 to try in F for the first time ever, which I do not think I would be able to afford with SQ.

Once again, thank you for your advice

Comment

Thank you so so much QSG. You have exactly nailed my point. Even based on my own very limited experience, I do not think there are any airlines to beat SQ's new configuration A330 particularly in this roue.
            Since I am flying to FUK a sort of going home manner, I thought I would be able to manage how horrible the seat would be as long as I could extend my legs time to time (this is why I have to fly in C).

My dilemma is that I am interested in trying TG. Just a extra over AUD1,000 to try in F for the first time ever, which I do not think I would be able to afford with SQ.

Once again, thank you for your advice
            Just be sure to have little expectation for the "C" portion of the flight. Below is the link to the configuration which you have a 40% chance of getting:

http://www.thaiairways.com/thai-serv...F/A330-300.pdf

And below will be the 60% chance aircraft :

http://www.thaiairways.com/thai-serv...nloads/333.pdf

This is of course much better than it was just 2 years ago when they still used the domestic A300-B4 !

60% type of seat will be a lounger seat with about 48 inches of pitch. Generally there will be an abbreviated service drink-snack service after take-off with a hot breakfast before landing in FUK. The opposite way will be a full luncheon....

Comment

Just be sure to have little expectation for the "C" portion of the flight. Below is the link to the configuration which you have a 40% chance of getting:

This is of course much better than it was just 2 years ago when they still used the domestic A300-B4 !

60% type of seat will be a lounger seat with about 48 inches of pitch. Generally there will be an abbreviated service drink-snack service after take-off with a hot breakfast before landing in FUK. The opposite way will be a full luncheon....
              Once again, thank you very much for your advice QSG
              Your point is exactly my concern because I begin to to try persuade myself saying "hey, if I could fly in F SYD/BKK, I still manage to enjoy the whole experience with TG regardless how bad the sector BKK/FUK would be."

In order to ask you one more question, I think I should tell you my current physical condition. Broken disk in lower back & broken ankle, and waiting for knee surgery due to too much sporting, maybe.

my question: Do you think BKK/FUK could be risky someone like me?

Comment

Once again, thank you for your advice QSG.
                I have been aware of the risk, that's why I start saying to myself "hey, if I could manage to enjoy my first & last experience in F, I should be able to cope with whatever happens in BKK/FUK sector." when I saw this offer.

To be honest, I suffer from broken disk in lower back, ankle, & waiting for knee surgery. (too much sporting, maybe).
                Do you think it would be a risky for me to fly with TG for BKK/FUK in such a physical condition?

Comment

Once again, thank you for your advice QSG.
                  I have been aware of the risk, that's why I start saying to myself "hey, if I could manage to enjoy my first & last experience in F, I should be able to cope with whatever happens in BKK/FUK sector." when I saw this offer.

To be honest, I suffer from broken disk in lower back, ankle, & waiting for knee surgery. (too much sporting, maybe).
                  Do you think it would be a risky for me to fly with TG for BKK/FUK in such a physical condition?
                  How are you when seated for long periods in "Z" type lounger? Have you ever flown on a slope flat seat in any condition? If yes, was it comfortable for you? Will the slope put pressure on your lower back ? When you are not mobile for long periods what is your preferred rest position? The seats in "F", do have a very slight incline in the seat back area, it never bothered me, but I have heard that others say it interferes with their rest, and it might cause you pressure on your lower back. If you are in any pain then you might want to take that into consideration before pulling the trigger (no matter how enticing the deal maybe). Just my 2 Yen.....

Comment

How are you when seated for long periods in "Z" type lounger? Have you ever flown on a slope flat seat in any condition? If yes, was it comfortable for you? Will the slope put pressure on your lower back ? When you are not mobile for long periods what is your preferred rest position? The seats in "F", do have a very slight incline in the seat back area, it never bothered me, but I have heard that others say it interferes with their rest, and it might cause you pressure on your lower back. If you are in any pain then you might want to take that into consideration before pulling the trigger (no matter how enticing the deal maybe). Just my 2 Yen.....
                    Arigatou-Gozaimasu
                    I always put pillow/s to support my back whatever position I take and it helps. When discomfort level arises, I simply take a walk around the cabin.
                    My biggest problem right now is right knee. The flight FUK/ICN with OZ, I was in A321, which seat hardly reclined. Despite of the fact that it was about one hour flight, I felt my knee started screaming in pain when the plane was about to land.
                    I can cope with my lower back problem since it's a kind of my long time companion. But knee problem is a newbie and refuses to cope with me.
                    I must have confused you, sorry. My major concern is FUK/BKK. Since I have not tried "Z" type lounger yet, I am not so sure that if the seat has enough space for me to stretch my legs time to time. So if I fly in F, it may compensate me for getting ready (SYD/BKK) and recovering (BKK/SYD) from/to shift FUK/BKK flight better than in C. That's what I'm wondering now.

Comment

I don't believe it is a 60/40 chance at all re: Thai A330 config on Japan routes. Thai are quite consistent at putting new configuration on Japan flights. In the past week it is 100% new config. Once in a while a swap is made but it is scheduled to be new config. More like 90% chance at least you will get newer config. I just got off one (HS-TES) on the KIX-BKK flight. The seats are not as flat or comfortable as those on the 777, still it was fine for the 3.5 hours of sleep you will get outside meal service.

There is plenty of room to stretch your legs.... there is plenty of room on the old config too
                      My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                        I don't believe it is a 60/40 chance at all re: Thai A330 config on Japan routes. Thai are quite consistent at putting new configuration on Japan flights. In the past week it is 100% new config. Once in a while a swap is made but it is scheduled to be new config. More like 90% chance at least you will get newer config. I just got off one (HS-TES) on the KIX-BKK flight. The seats are not as flat or comfortable as those on the 777, still it was fine for the 3.5 hours of sleep you will get outside meal service.

There is plenty of room to stretch your legs.... there is plenty of room on the old config too
                        Thank you sqdazz. Hope BKK/FUK would be the same with KIX route. As long as there is enough space to strech my leg, I think I can survive.

Comment

Oh BTW, for lounge in BKK, exSYD is C & exFUK is F, is that correct? I sort of remember that I have read somewhere if I fly in F and connect to C, I may be able to use F lounge...?
                          Any advice to maximize my experience is very much appreciated.
                          Thank you.

Comment

Oh BTW, for lounge in BKK, exSYD is C & exFUK is F, is that correct? I sort of remember that I have read somewhere if I fly in F and connect to C, I may be able to use F lounge...?
                            Any advice to maximize my experience is very much appreciated.
                            Thank you.
                            There is a current discussion about this. since you have an immediate connection you might find yourself in F. but I suggest you read the discussion here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-...n-arrival.html
                            My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                              There is a current discussion about this. since you have an immediate connection you might find yourself in F. but I suggest you read the discussion here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-...n-arrival.html
                              Thank you very much, sqdazz

Comment

Working...
                              X