Impressed with AY, and their new J class seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impressed with AY, and their new J class seat

I flew BKK-HEL-MAN on AY a couple of weeks ago and the BKK-HEL leg was on an A330 with their new flat bed J class seat. I have to say I was impressed with the seat and enjoyed the service. HEL is a very easy place to transit as well.

I know they start flying to SIN in a few months but I think they may only be putting their A340's on the route (BKK gets both) in which case it will mean no new flat bed J for the time being, if what I have read is correct. Shame.

Thanks for the tip. Flying them in a few weeks time on their A330s, looking forward How's the IFE compared to say, SQ?

Btw, are the A330s the -300 or -200? IIRC, they ordered the -300Es but do they have enough range for BKk-HEL?

Comment

They are A330-300E's so obviously they do have the range
      My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Oh right I forgot HEL is a bit closer, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
          Oh right I forgot HEL is a bit closer, sorry.
          Indeed, HELL is closer than we all think!

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
            I know they start flying to SIN in a few months
            Is this a tag on to BKK like before ? A few years ago, I flew SIN-BKK(stayed on the plane)-HEL-LHR and was exhausted by the time I got home. It was the old slopey J seat which was actually pretty comfortable along with IIRC a nice pillow, duvet, good food and service which I felt was between the usual F and J offerings. As you mention, HEL is a joy to transit through.

Comment

Nonstop to SIN this time

No I think it will be a nonstop flight this time!

http://airlineroute.net/2010/07/01/ay-helsin-s1/

Giving the affordable discounted J fares offered by AY, Finnair is really not a bad choice to Europe! They offer a reliable product! Nothing fancy like SQ or TK, but a decent product! Helsinki is really a nice hub, and the airport is okay!

Carfield

Comment

Very late departures as well which I always like!

AY081
                HEL 23:40
                SIN 16:10+1

AY082
                SIN 23:30
                HEL 06:25+1

Comment

Particularly since they are not coming with the latest lie-flat J product, i just hope they get their pricing right against TG, TK, QR, et al. Would be nice to have a competitive oneworld option to Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                    Would be nice to have a competitive oneworld option to Europe.
                    Possibly RJ ? I'm thinking of trying them to HKG with their competitive fare:

LHR-AMM-BKK-HKG r/t; D class; about £1,744 all inclusive; 480 TPs too with BAEC

Posts on FT gushing about RJ's service and food, e.g. 6 courses "with a choice of starters, a soup, salad, main course served chair-side from a trolley who will offer you a choice of 2 meats, fish, a pasta dish and a selection of potato dishes, rice and vegetables, which you select from, followed by fresh fruit and/or cheeses, followed by a choice of cakes".

The only issue seems to be instability affecting AMM but that hopefully shouldn't be a long term thing.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      Possibly RJ ?
                      Thanks for the tip jhm.

At first checking, RJ seems uncompetitive when travelling from SIN. http://www.airfares.com.sg/airfares/rj/index.htm

Journeys originate ex-BKK and with the added inconvenience and cost of tacking on the SIN-BKK vv. sector, it doesn't really make sense. IIRC, EK, EY, QR, TK & AY are all in the same broad price range, ex-BKK.

Comment

As a general comment, I've flown them locally here, and they're pretty good.

Although I have yet to take a long haul with them, they seem like a carrier that values their passengers, unlike some 'new era' airlines that charge you Eur 3 for a bottle of water on board and Eur 15 for one piece of check-in luggage on a 40' flight (RIX-HEL)...

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                          Particularly since they are not coming with the latest lie-flat J product, i just hope they get their pricing right against TG, TK, QR, et al. Would be nice to have a competitive oneworld option to Europe.
                          e.g. I class:

Code:
                           1 AY  82I 10NOV Q SINHEL*SS1  1150P  615A  11NOV F /DCAY /E    
                           2 AY 831I 11NOV F HELLHR*SS1   800A  910A /DCAY /E             
                           3 AY 834I 25NOV F LHRHEL*SS1   605P 1100P /DCAY /E             
                           4 AY  81I 25NOV F HELSIN*SS1  1140P  505P  26NOV J /DCAY /E
                          Code:
                          10NOV DEPARTURE DATE-----LAST DAY TO PURCHASE 03NOV/2359        
                                 BASE FARE                     TAXES             TOTAL    
                           1-   SGD4219.00                    834.20XT      [b]SGD5053.20ADT[/b] 
                              XT    377.00YR      13.90SG       8.00OO       6.10OP       
                                     12.60DQ      19.80WL     348.80GB      48.00UB       
                                   4219.00                    834.20           5053.20TTL 
                          ADT-01  IFLEXFE                                                 
                           SIN AY X/HEL AY LON1611.40IFLEXFE AY X/HEL AY SIN1611.40       
                           IFLEXFE NUC3222.80END ROE1.30911                               
                          VALIDATING CARRIER - AY
                          How does the pricing compare ?

Comment

e.g. I class:

Code:
                             1 AY  82I 10NOV Q SINHEL*SS1  1150P  615A  11NOV F /DCAY /E    
                             2 AY 831I 11NOV F HELLHR*SS1   800A  910A /DCAY /E             
                             3 AY 834I 25NOV F LHRHEL*SS1   605P 1100P /DCAY /E             
                             4 AY  81I 25NOV F HELSIN*SS1  1140P  505P  26NOV J /DCAY /E
                            Code:
                            10NOV DEPARTURE DATE-----LAST DAY TO PURCHASE 03NOV/2359        
                                   BASE FARE                     TAXES             TOTAL    
                             1-   SGD4219.00                    834.20XT      [b]SGD5053.20ADT[/b] 
                                XT    377.00YR      13.90SG       8.00OO       6.10OP       
                                       12.60DQ      19.80WL     348.80GB      48.00UB       
                                     4219.00                    834.20           5053.20TTL 
                            ADT-01  IFLEXFE                                                 
                             SIN AY X/HEL AY LON1611.40IFLEXFE AY X/HEL AY SIN1611.40       
                             IFLEXFE NUC3222.80END ROE1.30911                               
                            VALIDATING CARRIER - AY
                            That's pretty keen pricing I have to say!

Comment

Looks pretty good indeed.

Lower than the current advertised prices for TG, LH, QR...

http://www.airfares.com.sg/flights/business_class.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X