Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIL-LAX : BA or LH?

Hello,
    I'm going to buy a ticket from Milan to Los Angeles in a cheap economy class.

Currently best options would be LH or BA.
    BA is more or less 75 EUR cheaper than LH but timings are slightly worse.

I'm BA gold and LH SEN, so - considering the strange period we're living - I could be one of the first eligible for operation upgrades (or ex-gratia upgrades).
    Nonetheless, BA upgrade would mean travelling Y+, while LH upg implies biz class seat.

Finally, with BA I could possibly use miles to get Y+, while this wouldn't be possible on LH (S class: no miles / no e-voucher allowed).

From a status requalification/mileage point of view, I've already reached BA requal till Aug 11, while *A miles would be nice on the way to requalify on BD.

Last info: once in LAX, I've a subsequent longhaul flight, this is the reason why I'm trying to fly in the most comfortable way I can.

What would you choose?
    There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
    If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

For comfort - redeem miles for BA WT+ and hope for an opup to CW. It's better than sitting in LH Y and hoping for an opup to C.

Comment

If you are stuck in Y then I would rate BA Y above LH Y but it is marginal (mainly on BA you will get AVOD IFE where as on LH you might well not even get a PTV).

I have a very good record recently getting op up'd by BA from Y to Y+ as gold (remember to OLCI). As SEN I had an occassional op up but it was always the exception.

I would second what jhm said. Upgrade to WT+ on BA which is significantly better than Y on either BA or LH and as a gold you have a reasonable chance of an op up to CW.

Comment

Luke, this is probably a very obvious thing to say to a BA gold (and I apologise if so) but ... you do know I'm sure that you can only upgrade from IIRC YBH to WT+ ?

Comment

It was not so obvious. It's my first time evaluating an upgrade from Y with BA.
          Thank you for highlighting this to me.
          There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
          If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Luke, no problem! I assume you're aware of the other restriction applicable to all BA mileage upgrades (not just from Y but also from Y+), i.e. your tix must be bought direct from BA or a BA PSA.

In any event, you may find the cost of an upgradeable Y tix to be quite expensive...

Comment

No idea of fares from Milan or how well it connects, but I'd also consider NZ LHR-LAX. 34" pitch, gate to gate IFE.

Comment

Working...
              X