X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Asia wins the best LCC Skytrax award 2009

Go Air Asia!

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...724&sec=nation

I like em, but i still think there are one or two LCC's that'll trounce AK. (I personally think QZ and FD drag the franchise down).....

Anyway, this is Skytrax..... so take it with a pinch or five of salt.

Comment

Perhaps Tiger Airways might be better. After all, its run by SQ

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
        I like em, but i still think there are one or two LCC's that'll trounce AK. (I personally think QZ and FD drag the franchise down).....

Anyway, this is Skytrax..... so take it with a pinch or five of salt.
        QZ is actually very good in the air but its ground service sucks big time - long queue on check-in and no announcement on delay seem to be its trademark now.

Again, I agree that as it is Skytrax, we should not waste too much time on it.

Comment

Tiger altho owned by SQ but its service is actually worse than air asia.
          I have once reproach the stewardess who was in front demonstrating the safety procedures bec she like "threw" the demo seat belt n oxygen masks when done - never seen this type of attitude as other air asia the stewardess will put the demo things on the pantry top and do not throw it down on the floor. Tiger flight aattendent seems to have a attitude problem and surprising that some of its crew are not even local and have such attitude.
          Overall air asia and Jetstar are much better among the low cost carriers. Tiger is the most arrogant of them all.

Comment

AGAIN with the Skytrax?
            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
              AGAIN with the Skytrax?
              I'm innocent I tell you!

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                I have once reproach the stewardess who was in front demonstrating the safety procedures bec she like "threw" the demo seat belt n oxygen masks when done - never seen this type of attitude as other air asia the stewardess will put the demo things on the pantry top and do not throw it down on the floor. Tiger flight aattendent seems to have a attitude problem and surprising that some of its crew are not even local and have such attitude.
                Overall air asia and Jetstar are much better among the low cost carriers. Tiger is the most arrogant of them all.
                Really? I took TR lately and found that the service is not bad at all The Air Asia FAs never really welcome you aboard when boarding...

Comment

If generalisations are based on singular experiences, than I have this to share:

On my maiden trip on Tiger to KL and back (think it is the only route where I can tolerate an LCC), I nearly missed my return flight when I miscalculated the time and was still happily shopping around near the gate. A few airline staff came running around to look for me and got me into the plane 5 mins before push back....all with a smile.

Hey, it is an LCC. They have absolutely no need to bother about disappearing passengers, but they still did. Kudos to them, and I suppose I should declare them better than Jetstar or Air Asia. And speaking of arrogance, no one beats the arrogance of Tony Fernandes.
                  Help make this article a better one!

Comment

I suppose there are always instances of sub-standard service amongst LCCs and even full service airlines. However from yr previous postings one can see that you are bias against air asia - as u also have mentioned tony as being arrogant - and do believe perhaps u have a bad experience on air asia. As for looking for last min pax - have seen it happen on air asia too and other airlines even jetstar - this is due mainly for mainly for those who have checked in their luggage and the airlines will try to look for the "missing pax" as its faster n easier than to offload their luggage from the baggage hold of the aircraft which involves looking for the particular bag(s).

Comment

and altho tony fernandez may sounds arrogant to some people - but at the same time he is still practical on things and give credit when its due - including credit to s'pore and s'pore govt. :

"Meritocracy and Free Competition: The only way for Malaysia
                      Feb 23, 2009
                      Categories: Business & Entrepreneurs, Others

I applaud Datuk Nazir Razak and this resonates with a call – let's have more brave leaders. No more hiding behind the government, monopolies and protectionism.

Shortly after I posted my views on innovation I was thrilled to read CIMB Group CEO, Datuk Nazir Razak's bold comments on how the government should show economic leadership in these trying times. Among his suggestions that really stuck with me were the review of the New Economic Policy (NEP), how the government should venture out to acquire companies and brand names abroad and how Malaysia can attract the best talent.

When I think about it, I see Nazir's comments reflect the ideals and philosophy behind Singapore's Temasek Holdings. Although government-owned, they do mean business when it comes to the way they operate. The sort of returns on investment they generate each year bear testament to that (yes, yes, I am aware of the big hit they’ve taken in the current downturn but you know what I mean). But it was the recent decision to appoint Chip Goodyear, an American and former BHP Billiton boss, as the new CEO that demonstrates how serious they are about running Temasek like a real business.

Like all Fortune 500 companies, Temasek casts its net wide and makes sure it lures the best and the brightest. I take my AirAsia cap off to the Singaporeans for this. They may have a reputation for being ultra-straight-laced and total conformists but this is one radical trail-blazing move for all Sovereign Wealth Funds and State-backed companies everywhere to try and emulate.
                      Now wouldn't it be great if our GLCs took the same tack when hiring for the top posts? We needn't even have to look beyond our borders: Malaysia has a large and deep enough talent pool to supply a multitude of leadership candidates who can help our GLC’s compete on the world stage. I really cannot agree more with Nazir's call for the review and restructuring of the NEP. It is probably the single most important factor that is preventing Malaysia moving from good to great. I realize the important role it has played in narrowing the economic divide between races. But there is empirical evidence to show that there has been little incremental benefit over the past two decades. It's a 39-year-old machine that is broken, running on empty and which desperately needs to be fixed.

And here’s no better time to do it than now. The global economic turmoil presents a golden opportunity to embrace change (apologies to Obama). Think of it this way: The economic pie is already shrinking at home and if we don't fix our fundamental problems of improving our education system, nurturing talent, and rewarding the best minds the pie will shrink even more. We must have the courage to seize this opportunity to truly reform.

These are all the values that we aim to promote in AirAsia. We try our best to make our staff aware that opportunities are always there for them to switch careers or take on more responsibility or become leaders, as long as they have the desire and the passion to work towards their goals. Some of our cabin crew have moved into the marketing divisions and some who've had enough of pencil-pushing in accounts have taken up the challenge to fulfill their life-long dream to be a pilot! "

Another of his credit to sin and even to SQ

"Is Singapore better than us - if so why?
                      Sep 15, 2008
                      Categories: Marketing, Business & Entrepreneurs

The A380 experience. I haven't flown SIA for a long time certainly not on long haul as I used to get a discount from MAS (but please note used to hahaha). I have been flying the Gulf Airlines as they are cheaper but decided to treat myself and fly on SQ A380 in their suites.

The picture tells a million words even though I'm pretty lousy photographer. But it is a wonderful sight to behold and an amazing piece of engineering.
                      But what amazed me before I talk about the title was how happy the SIA crew were to see me. They all said that AirAsia had made a big difference to their lives both from the fact they could fly more and the fact that our company showed that you don't need to put people in boxes. That AirAsia had allowed cabin crew to be pilots, boys who carried bags to be pilots, call center staff to be Station Managers. It was great to hear all of this. But the best part of the conversation was that we gave from our heart and that we put our employees first.
                      It was strange hearing it from a Singaporean staff as sometimes I even feel my own staff don't realize but it was a great feeling nevertheless. "

Comment

But what amazed me before I talk about the title was how happy the SIA crew were to see me. They all said that AirAsia had made a big difference to their lives both from the fact they could fly more and the fact that our company showed that you don't need to put people in boxes.

Yep, Air Asia and Tiger Airways tickets are much cheaper than SQ staff fares. Now the SQ M'sian crew can fly home more often!
                        My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

I suppose there are always instances of sub-standard service amongst LCCs and even full service airlines. However from yr previous postings one can see that you are bias against air asia - as u also have mentioned tony as being arrogant - and do believe perhaps u have a bad experience on air asia. As for looking for last min pax - have seen it happen on air asia too and other airlines even jetstar - this is due mainly for mainly for those who have checked in their luggage and the airlines will try to look for the "missing pax" as its faster n easier than to offload their luggage from the baggage hold of the aircraft which involves looking for the particular bag(s).
                          In the same way that you appear to have a certain element of bias against certain aspects of SQ, I think each of us have our peculiar preferences for certain things.

Seeing that huge billboard on the way to KLIA saying that AirAsia is "world class" just puts me off completely for being in-your-face, unsophisticated, tasteless and certainly not world-class. And all those ads highlighting the curves of their stewardesses....yeah its eye-candy for us, but please. Its cheap and continues to suggest that Tony thinks he is some kind of Sir Richard Branson clone.

As for the bags....erm sorry, but I do not check in bags as far as I can especially on LCCs, and I had no bags on that plane. Despite your best efforts, my good impression of that airline remains untarnished, thank you.

Comment

and altho tony fernandez may sounds arrogant to some people - but at the same time he is still practical on things and give credit when its due - including credit to s'pore and s'pore govt.
                            Before you give people credit, maybe it is good to actually realise it is important to read between the lines. One look at both commentaries and I could detect lots of negative stereotyping, bad vibes, and past grievances against Singapore Inc.

And for each of these rare instances of "measured" comments, he has twenty other hysterical emotional barrage of comments against that irritating island south of Johor. When you have an LCC airline CEO gloating that his airline' passenger numbers is going to or exceeding that of a full-service airline somewhere else, you know you are looking at a businessman who has yet to actually grow up and outgrow that "my-dick-is-bigger-than-yours" stage.

If there is any credit he can earn from me, it is his initiative to start AirAsia. The credit ends there.

Comment

well at least now with his aggressive lobbying then to fly KUL-SIN that many are able to fly from SIN to KUL for between S$38 and $55 for a one-way ticket - then to be held hostage to pay for then SQ/MH fare of S$180 one-way. And soon to penang n langkawi for less than MH n silkair - and being flights of about an hour or less - its ok without the frills.

Comment

Working...
                              X