Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why SkyTeam is the weakest among airline alliances?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why SkyTeam is the weakest among airline alliances?

I want to know the perspective of SQTalkers since I've been reading really really intelligent posts in this forum. Is SkyTeam really the weakest or is the alliance simply a victim of a few low quality member airlines?

(Sorry if this thread doesn't fit here.)

Words like "weakest" and "quality" are very subjective IMO, and the below would be my opinions based on personal travel needs rather than any all encompassing statement of truth.

For myself, ST doesn't work because of its rather weak network for someone from MEL. We're served only by a 3xweekly KE service to ICN and nothing on the transpacific. And with network comes frequent flyer program considerations - it is just that much easier for me to rack up miles/status and enjoy the associated benefits of such with a oneworld or Star Alliance carrier as both these alliances have a much more accessible network.

On the other hand I might be singing a very different tune if I were living somewhere with a much more comprehensive ST network, such as the US where no less than 3 large US carriers are members, with CO being one of the better US majors quality-wise.

In terms of numbers though, some would argue that OW is the weakest as it has the least members. But I disagree that the success and global presence of any alliance is measured by numbers alone. As for network all 3 alliances have holes to fill as far as I'm concerned and it really comes down to where you live and your travel patterns for an alliance network to be considered workable.

As for quality, note that the other 2 alliances also have members that most would consider to be below-par by any measure. Having said that though, a majority of my favourite carriers tend to be from either *A or oneworld. I can't adequately comment on the quality of ST members (excepting perhaps CO and KL both of which I've had opportunities to travel with in the past). This is again best explained by network and frequent flyer program considerations - I have less opportunities to travel with ST than I do with *A or OW members as mentioned above and am hence more than familiar and comfortable traveling on the latter 2 than experimenting with The Unknown. And being served well by the latter 2 I can't think of a reason to go out of my way to check out and orphaning miles on ST.

Similar arguments can be applied to why I'd choose a carrier that is a member of an alliance over an unaligned one.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 2 June 2008, 12:26 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
    X