Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CX B777 vs A330 regional Y product: which is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CX B777 vs A330 regional Y product: which is better?

Will be looking to fly between SIN and HKG. Anyone has experience travelling in both aircraft?

Originally posted by eminere™ View Post
    Will be looking to fly between SIN and HKG. Anyone has experience travelling in both aircraft?
    Hi, Eminere! I've flown both.

This TR covers both of these.

In terms of hard product in the TR above, both are older seats, with previous generation IFE, but comfortable cushioning.

That said, there are several different CX Y products out there (even more variation than SQ in Y) and I don't fly enough CX to be familiar with all these different variations. I have heard that some of the planes may be upgraded to newer Y products, or to the fixed shell Y product (Anyone with more accurate info on this?).

At least based on the seats I flew in the TR, I prefer the 777 seat to the A330, but there really isn't a lot of difference overall. I would choose based on schedule, or whether you prefer 2-4-2 (A330) or 3-3-3 (777).

The 777 in the TR is either a 773 or 772, not a 77W. If you can get a 77W, however, go for that, because the hard product and IFE on those should be the newest CX Y product.

Hope this info is useful!
    Last edited by yflyer; 16 December 2013, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Thanks for chiming in yflyer - can always count on you for your insights!

It's certainly a little overwhelming for those of us who don't fly CX regularly; the booking engine shows that they have the A333 and the B772, 773, 77W and 744 (!) plying this route, depending on timing. If not travelling on the B77W I am assuming everything else could be a mix of old and new product.

I don't suppose on such a short flight there'd be a material difference in comfort...

Clicking through the link to read your TR now!

Comment

CX also has the odd A333 with the long haul product. Check the seat map, and if it shows 1-2-1, then you should also choose that.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
          CX also has the odd A333 with the long haul product. Check the seat map, and if it shows 1-2-1, then you should also choose that.
          yeah one way to tell if old/new A333 is to do dummy booking for biz class. Also since now they are selling PE for this route, you can also do a dummy booking for PE. New A333 will have PE availability.
          visit my blog

Comment

Just beware when booking, CX out of SIN has a 5th liberty route to HKG through BKK. I flew this last week until BKK.
            On the outbound (2pm out of SIN), that's a bi-class 333 with 2-2-2 stone-age recliner J class (with IFE in arrest). Y was apparently also super outdated.
            On the inbound (12:45pm out of BKK to SIN), that was a 773 with the fixed-shell seating in Y.

Comment

Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
              yeah one way to tell if old/new A333 is to do dummy booking for biz class. Also since now they are selling PE for this route, you can also do a dummy booking for PE. New A333 will have PE availability.
              That's an excellent tip, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Durian View Post
                Just beware when booking, CX out of SIN has a 5th liberty route to HKG through BKK. I flew this last week until BKK.
                On the outbound (2pm out of SIN), that's a bi-class 333 with 2-2-2 stone-age recliner J class (with IFE in arrest). Y was apparently also super outdated.
                On the inbound (12:45pm out of BKK to SIN), that was a 773 with the fixed-shell seating in Y.
                Thanks, will be sure to avoid this routing. I certainly don't need the extra flying and transit time!

Comment

Working...
                X