Lion Air buying 234 A320 family aircraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lion Air buying 234 A320 family aircraft

That's some order, on top of what they already have....

Indonesia’s Lion Air has placed a firm order with Airbus for 234 A320 Family aircraft, comprising 109 A320neo, 65 A321neo and 60 A320ceo. The deal sees the carrier become a new customer for Airbus.

In a single class layout the A320 can seat up to 180 passengers, while the A321 can carry up to 236 with the latest cabin configuration options.

The Lion Air Group will use the aircraft to meet growth requirements on its expanding domestic and regional route network. The carrier is expected to unveil its engine selections for the aircraft in the near future.

“The fuel-efficient A320 Family will enable Lion Air to achieve the lowest possible operating costs and continue to offer the most competitive fares in the Asian region,” said Rusdi Kirana, Co-Founder and CEO of Lion Air Group. “This landmark order will ensure that the Lion Air Group will continue its expansion with one of the most modern and advanced fleets in the world.”

Since taking to the skies in 2000, Jakarta-based Lion Air has become one of Asia’s fastest-growing airlines. Today the group operates an extensive network covering over 70 destinations in Indonesia and South East Asia.

Wow they must have about 500 aircraft on order at the moment.

They could do to get rid of those Classic 737's.

Comment

Having flown them recently on a couple of domestic hops, I quite like them. I hope they do well

Comment

I still cant believe a Lion can fly .. LOL.. well done lion.

Comment

This kind of rapid expansion does make me wonder about safety though. 543 aircraft on order
          My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

I'm just back from Jakarta on Thursday, flying Lion's B737-900ER.

It left on time, both directions, landed on time and I was lucky enough to have the best seat on the plane, each way (32A) on the only one with no seat or anything in front.

Okay, so with no food, drink, and a very thin seat (feeling everything from the back) I have to say that despite that, spending S$215 on Lion compared to S$680 on SQ was money well saved and much better spent on something else.

Comment

They plan to have 1,000 planes...
              http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...ane-fleet.html

Lion Air, which has the world’s biggest order backlog for 559 narrow-body aircraft, aims to have 1,000 planes in 10 years, he said.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                1000??!! Me thinks they are being far too ambitious. I wonder how safety will play out. I do agree however that the airline isn't too bad. I was glad to have brand spanking new planes for both sectors on my last trip with them.

Comment

Sometime we under estimate others. Indonesia has a large population, and the country is big. We cannot assume they will be forever poor.

We may not think China will become so strong in economic and people spending so much $ 20 years back!

So is a question what will we looks like 20 years latter.

Comment

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
                    Sometime we under estimate others. Indonesia has a large population, and the country is big. We cannot assume they will be forever poor.

We may not think China will become so strong in economic and people spending so much $ 20 years back!

So is a question what will we looks like 20 years latter.
                    Both of your points about Indonesia and China are obvious to frequent travellers in the Asia-Pacific region, as well as economists and business analysts. Indeed, you may want to google "Chinese tourists biggest spenders" for current news stories on a very telling trend.

Plus, I see more and more tourists from both of these nations visiting Singapore every year, so its bad to not only underestimate others, but also one's own airport and market. So would you suggest using JB or Batam for a future hub (like in one of your recent posts I believe) because Changi is too big an airport for the tiny island?

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                      Both of your points about Indonesia and China are obvious to frequent travellers in the Asia-Pacific region, as well as economists and business analysts. Indeed, you may want to google "Chinese tourists biggest spenders" for current news stories on a very telling trend.

Plus, I see more and more tourists from both of these nations visiting Singapore every year, so its bad to not only underestimate others, but also one's own airport and market. So would you suggest using JB or Batam for a future hub (like in one of your recent posts I believe) because Changi is too big an airport for the tiny island?
                      You never know!
                      When I was still a student in London more then 30 years back. Dubai and Bangkok was never a competitor to Singapore. So we can never assume place like JB, KL will stay the same forever.

Do not forget, we have most of the air traffics controller in this area currently. These are also a traditional reason. We all know how much air space we really own!

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                        1000??!! Me thinks they are being far too ambitious. I wonder how safety will play out.
                        SQGamespeed, here is the answer to your question. Thankfully the initial news reports seem to indicate that the passengers are safe (not a lot of news out yet, though.)

Herald Sun: Lion Air passenger plane crashes off coast of Bali (13 April 2013).

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel/n...-1226619817622

Comment

they better make it 235. Just had a crash in DPS half an hour ago.....

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                            This kind of rapid expansion does make me wonder about safety though. 543 aircraft on order
                            so three weeks after I post this they crash. tsk tsk
                            My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

It was a new 737-800 that became the sea lion. Some of the photos are amazing. Fortunately they landed in warm shallow water. Early reports said that the plane overshot or skidded off the runway, but the pictures make it clear that the aircraft landed short.

Comment

Working...
                              X