Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re-bocked to another carrier....FFP mileage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-bocked to another carrier....FFP mileage?

SWMBO and I recently flew EY, MAN-AUH-JNB.
    Due to a delay, we missed our AUH-JNB connection, and after a few hours, EY re-booked us onto EH, resulting in us arriving JNB 12 hours late, rather than 24 hours late.....
    But my question is, can i still claim the mileage for this flight, as it was rebooked by the airline, not me choosing to fly with another carrier?
    I suspect the anser is no, but as they still haven't credited our return AUH-MAN leg as well as other debacles while in their care, I'm feeling slightly aggrieved.
    If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

Are you crediting your EY flights to EY's own FFP (Etihad Guest)? If so, based on past experience, my understanding is that Etihad Guest applies original routing credit as per original carrier/routing/booking class. But this is not an automatic process - you need to raise a retro claim and advise that you're seeking original routing credit. Best to ring up first to clarify their preferred process as this is a manual workaround (and importantly, a discretion not formal T&C) for most if not all airlines rather than something that is configured to happen automatically.

If you're crediting to a partner FFP then it gets more complex as there needs to be a separate billing agreement between the FFP and the original operating carrier to pay for original routing credit if you've been FIM'd (Flight Interruption Manifest - that is, when you get put on another airline due to a disrupt) on to a completely different airline. With airlines that belong to global alliances like Star or oneworld this isn't such an issue as they'll generally try to FIM you to another airline in the same alliance (though not always) and you end up earning with whoever you've been FIM'd to anyway. But on standalone carriers with bilateral partnerships like EY this can present an interesting dilemma as the carrier you get FIM'd to tends to have no relationship with the FFP you want to credit to - and some carriers are reluctant to pay partner FFPs for original routing credit as there can be all sorts of reasons why you've been FIM'd and it's not always the fault of the original operating carrier even though one would generally argue that loyalty benefits are why you booked with the original operating carrier in the first place. So in summary, best to ring up to clarify anyway as original routing credit is always subject to individual FFP policies and various other quirks that may affect the outcome.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 25 January 2013, 03:07 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

thanks KeithMEL.
      I took your advice, and requested it........as well as listing the other issues we experienced, one resulting in a huge security issue, as well as a comfort issue.
      Two weeks pass, and all i get is a mail saying it's with the baggage claims team.
      It had nothing to do with baggage claims, so another email pointing out what the issues that I really want addressing are - misinformation and missing mileage.

Got to love airline CS..........
      If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

Comment

Working...
      X