Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 'Budget' Trip To HongKong/Shenzhen/Shanghai

Background

After learning that Spring Airlines (9C) had just started services between Hong Kong and Shanghai, it sort of sparked some interest on me to go to Shanghai.

Anyway, I had intended to visit Hong Kong during the MegaShow period (end Oct). However, I found that the tickets to Shanghai from Shenzhen are much cheaper, and we managed to get returns tickets at around USD120 on 9C. Tickets to Shanghai from HKG would be almost double the above price.

And thinking that we have not been to Shenzhen before, it's quite a good idea to see what Shenzhen is like, and also to visit another fair that's going on at Shenzhen.

Thus, our routing for this trip would be SIN-HKG on 3K, HKG-SZX on foot, SZX-SHA-SZX on 9C and HKG-SIN on 3K.

Well, the focus on the trip report will be on SZX-SHA-SZX on 9C as such a trip report is not very common. Perhaps, it would be first on SQTalk?

Apart from the SIN-HKG-SIN sectors, the trip report will be dominated by pictures.

3K693: SIN-HKG - Almost missed our flight!

Date: 22 October 2010
    Airline: Jetstar Asia
    Aircraft: Airbus 320
    Approximate Departure Time (STD): 1035 (1005)
    Arrival time (STA): 1405 (1350)
    Departure Runway: 02C
    Arrival Runway: 07L

Well, I did not take much picture for this sector as I felt this sector had been well covered before. Also because I was too tired due to my hectic schedule prior to this trip.

Reached the airport around 8.45am, checked ourselves in and slowly made our way to the The Green Market (entry by virtue of Priority Pass). I apologize that I did not take any photo of this lounge. Well, my first impression of this lounge is that I would have thought that this place was more of a restaurant rather than a lounge. Anyway, as vegetarians, we just had some refreshments and salads from the self service bar, coffee and I ordered another omelette which was made promptly.

At that time, we were the only people using that lounge and we sort of took too much of our own sweet time and realised that we are real late. When we left the lounge, it's already 9.35am, oops.... That means we had got only around 15 mins to reach Gate C11.

Oh man, luck wasn't really on our side. We just missed the Skytrain to T1! 4 minutes wait for the next train, gosh! And 3 minutes later, the countdown timer was showing another 1 minute. However, this was such a long one minute. After waiting for another 2-3 minutes, there's still no sign of the skytrain. Could it be a breakdown of the Skytrain system? Instead of just waiting for the Skytrain which may not made it, we just decided to board the Skytrain to T3 instead, and hoping that the connection time for the train to T1 from T3 will be short.

Well, on the Skytrain, I started to have some sort of panic attack and getting very anxious, especially having received alert (Gate Closing Status) on my iphone (I had installed the iChangi apps). Luckily, when we reached T3, the train towards T1 was just pulling in. Alright, things are starting to get better, and we would just make a mad dash to our gates.

Phew! It's around 0955 when we reached our gates. Obviously, we are the very last 2 passengers. Luckily, we were still accepted for our flights as I still see a long queue of passengers queuing at the aerobridge area.

Quickly cleared the security checks and boarding pass checks. When boarding, we were asked if we are keen to check in our hand-carry luggages for free as the flight was quite full. Well, we were fine with it as that would keep our hands free. (only if we could have just checked that in, zzz..) Well, no complain here as I was just relieved that I get to board this flight.

Flight got pushed back at around 1015, and with some traffic and taxiing distance, we only took off at around 1035.

Quite an unventful flight and we landed at 07L of HKIA at around 2pm. Approach was from the sea, and with suboptimal weather as Typhoon Megi was threatening Hong Kong, it was a boring landing.

Aircraft got parked at a remote bay, and we were bused to the terminal. And it's only around 3pm that we get to leave HKIA.

To be continued.............. (sorry to bore u guys w the lack of pictures and the long-windedness)...

Comment

9C8950: SZX-PVG (1)

Date: 25 October 2010
      Airline: Spring Airlines (9C)
      Aircraft Reg: B-6349
      Approximate Departure Time (STD): 2050 (2050)
      Arrival time (STA): 0100 (0050)
      Departure Runway: 02C
      Arrival Runway: 33

Thanks for your patience if you have been waiting eagerly for photos.

With a scheduled departure time of 2050, we made our way to Shenzhen Baoan Airport (SZX) at around 2000. Our hotel is located at the Lao Jie MTR Station, and we would need to take the subway to Science Museum Station where we will take the airport bus (Airport Bus 330, wondering if it's cheekily named that way ). We boarded the 2040pm bus and reached the airport after a 30 mins or so journey.

Views of the airport exterior

Some CIP Complex in SZX?

The EXPO mascot - see you in 2 days time!

View of the airport interiors

Will the plane depart on time? A delay will be most undesirable as we would be reaching SHA in a very 'unearthly' manner.

These airlines depart from Terminal B

Comment

9C8950: SZX-PVG (2)

Is there business or first class on 9C?

oh man! the allowed cabin baggage seemed small. not to worry, every one has a 15kg baggage allowance.

hey! I would like to fly on this airline!

Comment

9C8950: SZX-PVG (3)

Having wasted enough time, think we should enter airside early to prevent what happened during the previous flight.

Security checkpoint

We tried to look for any Priority Pass lounge, but couldn't find any

Another 'classic' name in China

Boarding Gate 21

Comment

9C8950: SZX-PVG (3)

Boarding the plane

Luckily it's only a 2 hours flight!

Looks like every space is put to good use to get more revenue. But no inflight magazine?

Making sure all safety procedures are done before taking off. No easy task I have to say..

This is your only IFE if you din't bring anything onboard! Well, I am resisting the urge to put this into my bag.

Having no IFE and being tired, we tried to sleep on the plane. However, the seats are not optimal for sleeping as there isn't any head support. Got awolen many times as my head keep 'dropping down'.

Finally, we landed quite punctually and the aircraft was parked at a remote stand which is not a bad thing for 'plane-crazy' people like me.

Nope, the aerobridge is not meant for 9C's usage.

Catering truck(?) on standby. Waiting for some VIP?

On our way to bagagge claim

Long queue at the baggage claim, but we got our luggages quite fast.
            Last edited by slacker; 20 November 2010, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Spring Airlines titles look AirAsia like.

Comment

Do spring have a buy on board program? whats the food selection like?'

thanks for your report
                My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                  Do spring have a buy on board program? whats the food selection like?'

thanks for your report
                  From what I know, there's a buy on board programme as I'd seen flight crews pushing a cart. But I have got no idea what's offered on board as there's no menu card in the seat pockets.

What I know is that there's plenty of announcement in the middle of the flight to advertise their tour products (like the Shanghai tour bus) and their website.

Comment

9C8949 - SHA-SZX

Date: 28 October 2010
                    Airline: Spring Airlines (9C)
                    Aircraft Reg: B-6667
                    Approximate Departure Time (STD): 2115 (2000)
                    Arrival time (STA): 2345 (2200)

Shanghai Hongqiao Airport Terminal 1

Part A of the terminal being closed and deserted due to under-utilization?
                    Only Spring airlines uses Terminal 1 together with a handful of international flights.

The only airlines that operate out of Terminal 1. For the rest of airlines, please proceed to Terminal 2. For those flying SQ, so sorry that you had arrived at the wrong airport

Comment

9C8949 - SHA-SZX

Tight airport security due to EXPO? Everybody entering the airport are subjected to a swab-explosive tests.

Flight delayed!!! If I had known earlier, I should have taken the metro line to Terminal 2 instead of spending $ on a cab.. zzzz

Something that we should look forward to?

Two choices for you to check-in. Looks like people there still prefer the human touch!

Chinese Customs serving those international flights.

What are they selling? EXPO souvenirs?

And thanks Shanghai for hosting the EXPO.

Priority Pass Lounge:

Traditional Style Decor

Impressive Food Offerings!
                      Last edited by slacker; 20 November 2010, 01:12 PM.

Comment

9C8949 - SHA-SZX

Holding gate area, where the 'cattles' will be bused to their aircraft later.

All 9C flights at that time being delayed? What exactly happened? N wat does 'Actual' mean here? My flight had departed?

[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs985.snc4/75838_1652380502964_1040562896_3708760_5009506_n.j pg[img]
                        Flow control? Or poor schedule management?

If only we can take off at 20:45 time. zzzzz

Poor attempt to capture the tarmac, runway and Terminal 2.

Wat's this car doing here??

Another 9C aircraft that will be serving 'cattles' bound for Yantai.

Different type of seats from my previous flight. This seat seemed more comfortable though.

Well, we waited for close to half an hour before we got the clearance to taxi and to takeoff. Wonder why the wait as the aircraft next to us taxied and took off before us despite commencing boarding later than us?

Comment

Working...
                        X