Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Istanbul, not Constantinople: A report on TK's New 77W in First Suites SIN-IST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
    The business class seat looks to be quite different to VS/NZ and also to the CX imitation.
    It looks quite a bit wider than CX version.

Comment

Did you manage to book this? When are you travelling?
      I was originally planning for July 2010, by redeeming on random dates in the system and then pay the change fee to push the dates out down the track. That TK F is only bookable up till Oct this year also threw me off.

I did manage to come up with an itinerary that had availability on ANA, but was quite hesitant because of the extremely high combined cash+tax. And eventually got sidetracked by a house party.

I suppose the JCL awards are still bargain value. We're now trying to plan next Easter around C awards instead, and attempting to reduce +++s by booking as much NZ, OZ and NH awards as possible.
      Last edited by KeithMEL; 1 May 2009, 05:20 PM.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Thanks for a very informative TR!!!

Comment

Raki was available on my TK shorthaul flights.
          Oops. Didn't put up the drinks menu, but Raki was indeed available.
          Well, to be totally correct, it's Rakı

Originally posted by StarG View Post
          It looks quite a bit wider than CX version.
          Maybe it's my lousy photography skills, but aren't the herringbones all pretty much the same?

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          That TK F is only bookable up till Oct this year also threw me off.
          Kinda makes sense - the purser told me there was a reason when specifically mentioned that. He said that TK's own 77W's won't have F. When the 9W ones go, F goes with it. Loads are poor, according to him. Based on my lousy sample size - I'd tend to agree.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
            Maybe it's my lousy photography skills, but aren't the herringbones all pretty much the same?
            I have been on both CX's and 9W's Herringbone seats and I can tell you that they are very different. 9W's seats feels wider and the distance between the partitions are wider as well compared to the crammed CX's seats.

Kinda makes sense - the purser told me there was a reason when specifically mentioned that. He said that TK's own 77W's won't have F. When the 9W ones go, F goes with it. Loads are poor, according to him. Based on my lousy sample size - I'd tend to agree.
            Looks like 9W instead of TK does have a very good F product.

Comment

No. CX is much narrower than NZ, and with higher walls. CX has more seats in the same space (eg upper deck forward of exit row CX has 7/8 seats each side but NZ only 5!). Also the recline/seat to bed conversion is completely different.

NZ & VS should be very similar seats because NZ got a license from VS to use. I understand there are some minor tweaks (eg with ottoman and table).

Some other airlines - eg CX, DL (not sure about 9W and AC) opted to copy the design rather than license it and thus there are many differences.

Comment

I think on NZ and VS, the seat flips forward to make a bed, whereas AC, CX, DL, 9W etc all have the seat that reclines backwards until it turns into a bed.

Comment

Originally posted by stargold View Post
                  I think on NZ and VS, the seat flips forward to make a bed, whereas AC, CX, DL, 9W etc all have the seat that reclines backwards until it turns into a bed.
                  Yes on NZ you'd have to get an FA to flip your bed and make it up for you (you also get a mattress pad and a v nice duvet). On CX you can recline the bed yourself with the button.
                  All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

4) Sleepwear and Blankets - I'm still in awe at the comforter (note, I didn't say blanket. Blankets are what other airlines give out. Goose down filled comforters of a really good size are what TK gives out, along with a gorgeous set of PJ's -In this area, TK is a class leader. The "First Class" logos are a bit naff, so that's my only complaint. Could have been a tad more discreet
                    As promised: Pics of the jammies. Utterly gorgeous, IMHO
                    Don't have the heart to wear it, so I don't know if it's particularly comfortable or not

Comment

Kinda OOT, but it's related to TK66 F IST-SIN.
                      Managed to get a confirm redemption booking on F on TK66 IST-SIN for 24Sep as part of Star Alliance redemption few days ago But when I want to issued the ticket, the KF agent couldn't issued them Quite took a long time for them to sort the problem, in the end they told me that they couldn't issued the ticket because of the TK66 flight It couldn't be issued on F redemption because TK don't offer F for redemption How on earth that I got a confirmed F class redemption booking on the first place if they don't offer F class redemption??
                      But my argument no used for them, because they still couldn't issued the whole ticket because of this TK66 flight.

Sorry SQFG for hijacking your threat.....

Comment

Originally posted by Dent@SUB View Post
                        Kinda OOT, but it's related to TK66 F IST-SIN.
                        Managed to get a confirm redemption booking on F on TK66 IST-SIN for 24Sep as part of Star Alliance redemption few days ago But when I want to issued the ticket, the KF agent couldn't issued them Quite took a long time for them to sort the problem, in the end they told me that they couldn't issued the ticket because of the TK66 flight It couldn't be issued on F redemption because TK don't offer F for redemption How on earth that I got a confirmed F class redemption booking on the first place if they don't offer F class redemption??
                        But my argument no used for them, because they still couldn't issued the whole ticket because of this TK66 flight.

Sorry SQFG for hijacking your threat.....

I have a strange feeling that TK is withdrawing it. Heard it somewhere, but I don't know effective when.

Comment

FAB report, SQFG, once again!

Re. the parquet floor, EK has this in its F Suites on 777.

This I noticed on my OB DXB-JNB..... and the reason my heart sank on the IB leg, when I noticed the lack of parquet as I stepped aboart door 1....as I entered the cabin my worst nightmare (everything's relative!)was confirmed: equipment swap to old F (no suite).

Comment

SQfg, what were the must-dos and must-sees in IST? IST is part of my RTW and I don't know how many days I should allocate to the city. I believe kyo+ and N_Architect would be able to chip in with some suggestions too.

(Planning at the moment because I'd need to work out how many cheap Hyatt stays I'd need to do first. )

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                              SQfg, what were the must-dos and must-sees in IST? IST is part of my RTW and I don't know how many days I should allocate to the city. I believe kyo+ and N_Architect would be able to chip in with some suggestions too.

(Planning at the moment because I'd need to work out how many cheap Hyatt stays I'd need to do first. )
                              Kyo+ and N_Architect would do much better than me, I'm the kind of girl that sits in hotel rooms throwing up

Hagia Sophia, Topkapı Palace, Sultanahmet Mosque are musts. I guess ladies have to cover up a bit when going into a mosque.

Check out also the Grand Bazaar. Heaps of heaps of trinkets. You gotta get yourself one of those evil eye protection bracelets or necklaces. Very nice.

Have a nice turkish breakfast or something

I guess a good alternative is to get Kyo+ Istanbul office to take you around. I have the number for the General Manager of the Istanbul office, Kemal, if you want. He'll take you around

Comment

Kyo+ and N_Architect would do much better than me, I'm the kind of girl that sits in hotel rooms throwing up

I guess a good alternative is to get Kyo+ Istanbul office to take you around. I have the number for the General Manager of the Istanbul office, Kemal, if you want. He'll take you around
                                ...And I'm the kind of girl who sits on a boat throwing up.

I'd get Kemal to take me around. There are some places I'm happy to potter around by myself. IST is not one of them places.

Comment

Working...
                                X