The 'Best City in Australia'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Singapore Sling View Post
    Does everyone here understand Australian! If not they will not know what bogan means. I will try my best here, but the English word won`t help so here we go. Bogan is Australian slang for someone from a lower class background or those with limited education/behaviour that would lead you to think they come from such a background.
    You forgot to add the 'bogan uniform'

1. Wifebeater; english translation = singlet
    2. Thongs; english translation = flip-flops, jandles (for our kiwi bretheren) or slippers (for our Asian bretheren)
    3. Snap pants; english translation = tracksuit pants / sweat pants with a series of 'snap' buttons down the outside leg of the pants.
    4. Ugg boots (winter wear), I don't really have an proper 'english' translation for these as basically the status quo is to call them 'ugg boots'...

For more info please consult Urban Dicitionary

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post

2. Thongs; english translation = flip-flops, jandles (for our kiwi bretheren) or slippers (for our Asian bretheren)
      Thong is English for panties, so when I first went and was told tomorrow was thong day and got invited to a thong party, I thought I was in for a good time. What a let down, one off the girls took pitty and show me her thong.
      Last edited by Singapore Sling; 11 February 2011, 09:24 PM.

Comment

As a Sydneysider... definitely Melbourne.

Plus Sydney is indeed Boganville (Kyo well said )

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post

It's only something that could have been said by an ex-resident, indeed

Brisvegas was never Australia's best city, just its most livable, and of late - even that's subject to debate after the floods

Comment

What we need is a vote, listing your top three Australian cities, with points for each. Like so:

1. SYD (2 points)
            2. MEL (5 points)
            3. PER (10 points)

The one with most points wins.

Comment

1. Wifebeater; english translation = singlet
              3. Snap pants; english translation = tracksuit pants / sweat pants with a series of 'snap' buttons down the outside leg of the pants.
              4. Ugg boots (winter wear), I don't really have an proper 'english' translation for these as basically the status quo is to call them 'ugg boots'...

For more info please consult Urban Dicitionary

Then be introduced to the New Age Bogue (think Ed Hardy t-shirts rather than wifebeaters):
              http://thingsboganslike.com/about/

Tongue-in-cheek blog inspired by Stuff White People Like. Hilarious in parts. It's even been made into a book recently.

According to that site I'm probably 15% bogan, chiefly due to my LV addiction (at least I buy the real stuff), worryingly high automobile dependency (will drive around the block to buy milk for instance ), and aversion to any kind of curry other than butter chicken.
              Last edited by KeithMEL; 11 February 2011, 10:48 PM.
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post

That should go to (almost) all towns in Tasmania...
                God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Hahaha Keith, I totally forgot the Ed Hardy brigade!

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
                    That should go to (almost) all towns in Tasmania...
                    Which towns in Tasmania wouldn't fall into the 'bogan' category?

Comment

Should that not read "Which towns in Austrailia wouldn't fall into the 'bogan' category?"

Comment

I think it's a bit off to start saying any town other than major cities are 'bogan' towns is a bit offensive. How about some constructive feedback on places instead?
                        My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                          I think it's a bit off to start saying any town other than major cities are 'bogan' towns is a bit offensive. How about some constructive feedback on places instead?
                          It was all said Tongue-in-cheek and the cities where not let-off.
                          Originally Posted by Nick C
                          Plus Sydney is indeed Boganville
                          I don`t think any offence was meant, everyone here loves Australia. But it is time for the thread to get back on track.

To start things of: Why should I go to SYD, MEL, PER or any other Australian city?
                          Last edited by Singapore Sling; 12 February 2011, 08:22 PM.

Comment

I was trying to be a bit PC....
                            God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

I would suggest Ipswich Logan, Parramatta and Collingwood

Comment

Originally posted by Gunners View Post
                                I would suggest Ipswich Logan, Parramatta and Collingwood
                                Is that adding to the 'bogan list'

and agree with Singapore Sling the bogan angle this thread has taken is very much tongue in cheek... Light hearted banter if you will...

in getting back to topic, I find ADL becoming more and more my favorite city...

Why?

Is it the people? Certainly not the main reason I go there...

Is it the shopping experience? Is there one to be had in ADL that I couldn't find in SYD or MEL - if there is, I'd be interested to know where it is...

Is it the night life? Ummm... not really, the night life in ADL leaves a lot to be desired...

So then Gunnar Smithsen, why is it ADL is becoming your favorite city in Australia? Well the answer is, no other city in Australia I've visted has five variably different wine regions producing arguably some of the best wines within a <2 hour drive radius...

Comment

Working...
                                X