No announcement yet.

Ideas for US city to visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Orleans is a great place, provided Miss K has not altered the french quarter too much.

Other cities in which you might consider:

Houston (excellent nightlife)
    Denver (much like MEL)
    San Francisco (I see you are already visiting but I thought I'd make sure you don't miss - great city)
    Key West (not too far a drive from Miami and PLENTY of nightlife).
    Memphis (Go visit Elvis and Beale St for a bit of C&W - fun place)

P.S. I'd leave Atlanta alone unless you want to visit another Six Flags.

Regards
    SQ744

Comment

"Miss K?" I think it's safe to assume the locals don't refer to Katrina quite so kindly...

Comment

Originally posted by cawhite View Post
        "Miss K?" I think it's safe to assume the locals don't refer to Katrina quite so kindly...
        Some locals do, especially those that frequent the clubs on the corner of Bourbon and St. Anne, mmmkay?

As of last Halloween, fourteen months after Katrina hit, most of the tourist-serving bits of the city had recovered enough to open for business. Things were not entirely back to normal, and some places had not reopened (either for lack of money, lack of employees to run the business, or due to the extent of the damage), but by and large things were pretty much fine, especially if you cut the city some slack for what it had been through. One major disappointment was that the St. Charles Avenue streetcar had not been restored to service, though the line on Canal Street is running. Lots of construction and rehabilitation was underway at places being saved/restored/improved. Other areas of the city, though, were indeed devastated. The Lower Ninth Ward, which we toured, was a barren wasteland, and other areas and buildings still showed the trauma. New Orleans is fighting back to life, and (parts of) the city is absolutely worth saving and supporting. The demographics have changed, but perhaps for the better, because the cycle of violence and intransigent poverty that gripped large swaths of the city warranted neither celebration nor saving; though traumatic, the floodwaters may have freed quite a number of people from a hopeless future. Those who have returned and are rebuilding, including people from all walks of life, are those who will breathe life into the city again and make it better than it was before, without sacrificing what made it special.
        Last edited by MegatopLover; 2 March 2007, 08:47 PM.

Comment

I've been reading about New Orleans post-Miss K and it seems fine and dandy. Maybe I ought to pop along and chip in to the reconstruction effort with my patronage.

Pity I can't do both MSY and AUS - maxed out the DONE to 20 segments already.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ744 View Post
            Houston (excellent nightlife)
            YUCK! I don't like Houston. Just a sprawling, ugly city, IMHO. Guess I didn't know the right nightspots to visit...

Comment

Originally posted by MovieMan View Post
              YUCK! I don't like Houston. Just a sprawling, ugly city, IMHO. Guess I didn't know the right nightspots to visit...
              I visited some nice nightspots, but even then, I wouldn't really disagree with my (Texan) friend, who referred to Houston as "The Armpit of Texas". (Needless to say, he isn't from Houston.)
              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                Pity I can't do both MSY and AUS - maxed out the DONE to 20 segments already.
                Perhaps re-shuffled again the 20 segments? Perhaps skip places where there is no premium cabin from the tix? May be you should show us the full routing!

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                  Perhaps re-shuffled again the 20 segments? Perhaps skip places where there is no premium cabin from the tix? May be you should show us the full routing!
                  I've had to take some out and replace with surface segments already. And I will be buying an extra coupon in Europe. Best bit about the DONE is that I get to fly in F when it's a 2 class plane on AA's domestic services!

Tentatively the full routing including surface segments is:

CMB
                  oHKG
                  oLHR
                  oDXB
                  xLHR
                  oFCO
                  oBCN
                  oAMS
                  xLHR (surface, book on ba.com)
                  oLAX
                  oSFO (surface, book on aa.com)
                  oLAS (surface - UA or HP)
                  oMIA
                  _____
                  FLL
                  oLGA
                  oMSY
                  xDFW (surface, book on aa.com)
                  xLAX
                  oMEL
                  oAKL
                  oMEL
                  oPER
                  xADL
                  oMEL (surface, book on qantas.com)
                  oNRT
                  xSIN
                  CMB
                  All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
                  X