MAN - San Diego, Cali...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAN - San Diego, Cali...

So it's *looks very possible* I'll be posted to San Diego for a conference next summer. Only hitch is, I don't get to choose the travel arrangements. This fills me with dread because I don't know who the carrier before agreeing to go. Size and space are a serious consideridation for me, so I've been trying to work out what metal I'll be in.....thoughts welcomed.

Assumption no.1 - a MAN departure:
    bmi
    Continental
    US Airways
    AA
    United

assumption no.2 a LHR departure:
    NWA, plus all the above suspects.

assumption no.3
    I could present my Krisflyer card at check-in if it was United, US or bmi.
    But, worst case, which other FFP should I consider signing up to?

Finally,
    Anyone experienced any metal in Y? What's the space & comfort like? I'm "generously built" (despite shedding 30lbs so far) and despite my short legs, I don't do flexible....
    If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

Of all the carriers you've listed, I've only done AA when it comes to long haul economy, in both the 763 and 777. Legroom is generous (i am 5"5), with rather adequate seat padding. Booze isn't free. Food is very average (then again does anyone expect different in economy??). I've generally had rather pleasant FAs in AA economy.

Within OW I'd suggest AAdvantage as the best value FFP for the accrual/redemption ratio. Most discount economy AA fares accrue at 100%.

edit: it just occurred to me that MAN might be served by AA 757s -in which case my comments about seating might not be applicable. AA operates only 772s out of LHR.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Next summer is a long time in the current airline market so it's difficult to predict now which airlines will stay be around in their present forms and how routes may have changed.

Despite the impressions given by some on here and in other places, longhaul Y on any major airline is not hell on earth and there are far far worse physical experiences. I'm "generously built" too and I've never had any problem with longhaul Y (from the UK to Asia) in past years on a number of different carriers, e.g. BA, LH, QF, SQ, KL, MH, UA etc. (In fact, I even booked a longhaul Y tix on QF - SIN-LHR - a few weeks ago for next year which looks like it will be a very pleasant flight. )

I'd even say that most infrequent Y travellers enjoy the whole plane experience and with new in-flight entertainment systems (compared to years ago with pneumatic headphones and watching a screen at the front showing one movie), there's really no risk of getting bored. Stay hydrated (drink plenty of water and - whilst it may be heresy to some - drink alcohol in moderation if at all). Walk around to stretch your legs.

Choose your FFP once you find out what flights you're taking. No need to worry about this now.

Given all of the above, I really wouldn't worry about what will be, I'm sure, some nice flights with a conference in California. It's something to look forward to rather than dread!

Comment

Oops.... missed the "next summer" bit. In that case I thoroughly agree with jhm - the airline industry and movements in FFPs are especially volatile so I'd put off planning the minute details till closer to the date. Unless of course there are some early bird specials that you're eager to get booked on.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by Javaman View Post
          Assumption no.1 - a MAN departure:
          bmi
          Continental
          US Airways
          AA
          United
          bmi and AA would both be via ORD, US via PHL and CO via EWR. UA don't fly from MAN.

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          edit: it just occurred to me that MAN might be served by AA 757s -in which case my comments about seating might not be applicable. AA operates only 772s out of LHR.
          AA serve ORD with 763's from MAN, for now.

Originally posted by jhm View Post

Despite the impressions given by some on here and in other places, longhaul Y on any major airline is not hell on earth and there are far far worse physical experiences.
          Absolutely, and I agree we tend to lose sight of that at times.

Comment

Despite the impressions given by some on here and in other places, longhaul Y on any major airline is not hell on earth and there are far far worse physical experiences. I'm "generously built" too and I've never had any

I'd even say that most infrequent Y travellers enjoy the whole plane experience and with new in-flight entertainment systems (compared to years ago with pneumatic headphones and watching a screen at the front showing one movie), there's really no risk of getting bored.
            Agree. Just survived a long-haul (LAX-HKG) "redeye" Y trip on the new CX cabin, having been opped up in the first leg. Considering this was my first long-haul trip in 18 mths (last trip being HKG-MEL-HKG in Jan 2007). With the new AVOD on board, I managed to watch 2 movies, a few episodes of CSI, and have a few hrs of nap. Having an empty seat beside me surely helps to make it a more bearable trip

Will be having another long-haul (HKG-LHR-ATH-LHR-HKG) on BA WTP at the end of the mth. Not sure if I would be lucky enough to be upgraded to the new Club World seat on either leg.

Comment

Next summer is a long time in the current airline market so it's difficult to predict now which airlines will stay be around in their present forms and how routes may have changed.

Despite the impressions given by some on here and in other places, longhaul Y on any major airline is not hell on earth and there are far far worse physical experiences. I'm "generously built" too and I've never had any problem with longhaul Y (from the UK to Asia) in past years on a number of different carriers, e.g. BA, LH, QF, SQ, KL, MH, UA etc. (In fact, I even booked a longhaul Y tix on QF - SIN-LHR - a few weeks ago for next year which looks like it will be a very pleasant flight. )

I'd even say that most infrequent Y travellers enjoy the whole plane experience and with new in-flight entertainment systems (compared to years ago with pneumatic headphones and watching a screen at the front showing one movie), there's really no risk of getting bored. Stay hydrated (drink plenty of water and - whilst it may be heresy to some - drink alcohol in moderation if at all). Walk around to stretch your legs.

Choose your FFP once you find out what flights you're taking. No need to worry about this now.

Given all of the above, I really wouldn't worry about what will be, I'm sure, some nice flights with a conference in California. It's something to look forward to rather than dread!
              Excellent advice on all counts.

I'll also add that if legroom is a consideration, if you do end up booked in Y- (regular economy) on a carrier that offers a buy-up to Y+ (Economy Plus or it's equivalent), it may be worth considering the option even if your employer won't pay for the buy-up, particularly if you're flying UK-west coast US non-stop (such as LHR-LAX).

Comment

Originally posted by YK@HKG View Post
                Will be having another long-haul (HKG-LHR-ATH-LHR-HKG) on BA WTP at the end of the mth. Not sure if I would be lucky enough to be upgraded to the new Club World seat on either leg.
                You might be lucky, but I'd keep my expectations down. If you're still SL, BA has no equivalent rank, so you might be invisible to their system.
                ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Like others have said I would not worry about the flight at this point as it is out of your control. The main issue is the conference worth going to. If yes then when you find out what flight you are on then do some research into how to make the most of it. If not pull out now.

Comment

Working...
                  X