Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning a trip: Almost as satisfying as actually going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning a trip: Almost as satisfying as actually going?

Was having a chat with a famous UK based SQTalker earlier.....

How many of you actually derive great pleasure from constructing trips?

Personally, i find it great fun to look up fares, routes, hotels - and then systematically book them.

For me, it's almost a test in organisational ability to put together something that you want in a cost effective manner. And it's great fun sitting back afterwards before the trip and thinking you've done a good job and had fun putting it together too.

Almost to the point it's just as satisfying as actually GOING on the trip.

What's it like for you? Is planning a complete hassle you leave for someone else - or like me, do you enjoy it so much it's a hobby unto its' own?

I love planning, so much so that there isn't a day when I won't be looking up fares, fare constructions, fare rules, researching cities, hotels, reading SQTalk etc. When I'm not planning for myself I'd plan for other people who can't be bothered with the planning themselves.

As SQFG mentioned it's like a hobby in itself. My mum reckons that I love planning more than going on the actual trip.

And as I am very reliant on awards and tickets which book into fare buckets which might be difficult to obtain - planning saves a lot of hassle with HLing etc later on.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Definitely the planning is a large part of the enjoyment of the whole trip for me. Even if it is only a very simple trip I love the planning stage.

Comment

Yeah man, tat's true indeed! Planning for trips is indeed as enriching as the trip itself.

Also, the process of reading up and knowing the place prior to the trip will help to appreciate certain aspect and way of life of that country better, especially on free and easy tours.

Comment

Absolutely love planning my trip (BNE to ICN via SIN everytime anyway), especially when it comes to choosing an airline to fly with (Always SQ ^^;.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
            I love planning, so much so that there isn't a day when I won't be looking up fares, fare constructions, fare rules, researching cities, hotels, reading SQTalk etc. When I'm not planning for myself I'd plan for other people who can't be bothered with the planning themselves.
            I'm totally the same. One of the reasons I enjoy the planning is that it provides a brief mental getaway from what you'd otherwise be doing that day. I could be sitting around watching CNN this morning, or working on a weekday morning. But instead I'm daydreaming about taking the TG nonstop JFK-BKK and seeing what connections I can get to/from ATL for a trip I will take in November for American Thanksgiving. Thoughts of being in the air for 17 hours in Royal Silk Class, pampered by the TG boys, are going through my head right now, and it's a nice thing to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by MegatopLover View Post
              Thoughts of being in the air for 17 hours in Royal Silk Class, pampered by the TG boys, are going through my head right now, and it's a nice thing to think about.
              Nice. 'Pampering' doesn't come close to the service level on my LHR-BKK flights in First, so you must be catching their eye. I wouldn't be surprised.

I like planning too, but at some point, I just want to get on the flight. I'm probably less excited about the planning stage than other SQTalkers, because getting out of the work environment and heading somewhere where I can feel OK not checking voicemail is a pleasure that just has to be lived and not just anticipated.
              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I personally take pleasure from three main areas: planning, the actual experience, and also the post-mortem - in particular seeing the miles & points hit my various FFP/hotel programme accounts...

Comment

I personally treat the Planning as part of the trip itself.... so enjoyable...
                  Especially if it related with redemption ticket... so tricky and challenging, especially for the premium class....
                  Seek availability from point A to B. If no seat on the direct flight, looking seat via point C or D or E or even F.....
                  Maximized the flight segment that allowed for the redemption…..
                  Do a research about my destinations....
                  Hunting for bargain price on my fav hotels....
                  After all have been done, keep watching at my Itinerary if there’s some schedule change, etc…
                  When the trip itself has come, it’s very enjoyable… because I have put my effort on it… so satisfying…

Comment

Like SQflyergirl, this UK SQTalker she mentions and the others in this thread, I love the anticipation and thinking about a trip. For a particular trip, seeing the flights entered into my calendar start from a simple return and go up to a dozen or so (plus the associated accomodation) is like Lego with planes, flights and hotels!

However, where I fall down somewhat is that I enjoy and spend so much time planning the journey itself but I then fail to take the time to look into the destinations. I leave that hassle for others. There have been a number of occasions where I've been by myself and turned up somewhere without a clue what the local currency is, how to get to my hotel and what there is to actually do and see there!

Comment

I find it rather fun to utilize the knowledge I've gained here to book travel for myself and others -- and see if I'm actually on top of my game or not. I must say, that many people on this board have helped a great deal.

Thank you all!!
                      HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by Dent@SUB View Post
                        Seek availability from point A to B. If no seat on the direct flight, looking seat via point C or D or E or even F.....
                        Or in the case of an AFF couple using 120k AA miles each on OW F awards - fly BNE-OGG (physically 4000ish miles apart) via a few different continents and continuously (ie transitting) for 5 days.

http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/comm...ere-12221.html
                        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

planning is satisfying. there's a saying among my friends "flo, orga das!" ... meaning "flo, go organize this!" so planning a trip is definitely as satisfying as actually going.
                          Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Agree

I love planning my trips. I should have been a travel agent and I know more than my travel agent and drive her crazy booking several alternative itineraries for a single trip. For the last couple of months I have been planning a trip to the USA east coast. I am now down to two itineraries: one with QF using a tier 2 Circle Pacific fare, and one with SQ using their RTW special. I have used an excel spreadsheet to compare flights times, durations, connections, and cost. I will probably go with the SQ itinerary even though this will mean losing my Platinum status with QF. I even have a favourite seat and I will change itineraries and dates just to ensure I get the one I like (2K on QF, 2F on SQ). After planning my proposed itineraries, I then sit down with my eyes closed and imagine what the experience will be like. In doing this for my next trip I have just about convinced myself that the SQ experience will be better than QF because:
                            1. I will avoid SYD and LAX;
                            2. Hopefully I will get caviar and Krug on board SQ;
                            3. I will be flying in a newer fleet;
                            4. I haven't flown SQ long haul in years and so it will be new to me, whereas QF will be the same old thing - and I do mean old ;
                            5. I will be pleased I have saved $2k on the fare!

Comment

I'd like to know the steps/ resources SQtalkers take in planning a trip. For me,
                              1. Choose destination
                              2. Choose airline ( easy. Only SQ unless they don't fly there! )
                              3. Look for hotel at destination ( trip advisor, then hotel's own website )

I take it many of you don't take direct flights but want to maximize mileage credited to frequent flyer programmes?

Comment

Working...
                              X