Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I take sambal into the US?

post deleted
    Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:11 AM.

No food allowed into the US

I'm surprised your laksa got through in the past as US customs agents have been known to specifically ask inboud pax off Asian flights if they brought noodles.

Besides, sambal is readily available at Asian groceries in the States now.
    Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

I have brought in tin food legally. So long as the customs feel that there are no possibility of bacteria, it'll be okay.

Since sambal is not expensive, I think it's worth a try. At worst case, it gets confiscated.

Comment

post deleted
        Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Sambal is usually made from chilies, vinegar, and salt. Packed in luggage it is quite acceptable to bring to the USA.

Fresh fruits, vegetables, seeds, raw nuts, plants, cuttings, meats are not allowed. If you land in California the restrictions are greater.

Since Sambal is a processed food it is allowed. In any event it is helpful to have an English label listing ingredients, and that the container be sealed.

Comment

I have been told by a SQTalker who works in an airport that because Sambal is dense, the usual baggage screening will trigger the bag for a secondary screening. That 2nd screening may cause your bag to be delayed for loading on the plane. As a result, your bag may or may not arrive with you. Just something to note.

Comment

I don't take any chilli sauce with my food except when it is part of a dish, like curry. Can't taste anything after that!

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                I don't take any chilli sauce with my food except when it is part of a dish, like curry. Can't taste anything after that!
                post deleted
                Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:54 AM.

Comment

I've brought in kaya, sambal belachan and even durian cake (the green rolls)..

As long as its packaged, and not fresh.. You can bing it in. Just declare it.

Comment

Working...
                  X