Where to buy Australian Duty Free Wine at Changi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy Australian Duty Free Wine at Changi

I have been in the habit of getting a couple of bottles of red when going to Singapore for my Singaporean clients but in recent times I have been shocked by the duty free prices at MEL. It seems that they have finally caught on that they have a captive market and gouging is OK - and this when when prices are generally getting cheaper.

Does anyone know of any of the duty free shops are Changi that stock ozzie wine?

I remember you used to be able to get back the Wine Equalization Tax at the airport if you bought it outside at say Dan Murphy's. Maybe after that "rebate" it'd be cheaper than the Duty Free?

Comment

All the Changi DFS' stock Aussie wine..

I don't linger at that section, though, so I can't comment on the prices/varieties..

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
        I remember you used to be able to get back the Wine Equalization Tax at the airport if you bought it outside at say Dan Murphy's. Maybe after that "rebate" it'd be cheaper than the Duty Free?
        The total purchase should exceed 150 AUD and you will get 14,5% back... But to do this, you will need to go to Customs office down at the arrival hall before checking-in then you can leave the wine in your checked luggage..

Comment

Originally posted by blast-off View Post
          The total purchase should exceed 150 AUD and you will get 14,5% back... But to do this, you will need to go to Customs office down at the arrival hall before checking-in then you can leave the wine in your checked luggage..
          Thank you very much, Please come again!

Comment

i got 2 500ml bottles of black sambucca when i got back on the 22nd of december $40 !!! i was shocked the price was that high !
            Ive flown SQ and I adore it

Comment

From memory, I think the prices of Aussie reds at Changi DFS are also skyhigh. The range isn't that great, then again neither is that of MEL duty free.

I'd do as blast-off and SQFG have suggested if you are willing to check the wine bottles in.
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Not much point giving an Australian wine, that can be bought in Singapore?

Comment

i might get lynched for this... but wine sucks anyway, it all tastes like cheap rubbish in my opinion
                  Ive flown SQ and I adore it

Comment

Not sure why anyone would comment on a post asking about where to get Aussie wine if you don't drink wine at all??

Back to the OP, I found/and find that the cost of Aussie wines duty free at Changi is no better than what you can get at some of the wine shops in town (esp when on special). Captive audience as you say. Every one of the arrivals duty free shops at Changi have had Aussie wines when I was there (T2 & T3 only as have not been through T1 for ages).

Good luck with your search

Comment

JoJo is right, wine prices at Changi are crazy for "Duty Free" and we can get equally good wines from Denise or The Wine Company, for example, at similar prices.

DFS is only worthwhile for spirits.

Comment

I never buy wine from Duty Free. Not worth it.

Tax on wine is low in Singapore and it is pegged to volume and alcohol content, not price at source, so the savings from buying at the airport is almost non-existent.

I get my Aussie wine from Cellar Deluxe in Thomson Plaza, Upper Thomson Rd. You'd get really good boutique wines at much lower prices than in big chains or supermarkets. Daniel, the owner, stocks almost exclusively wine he personally source from vineyards in S Australia and WA and imports them himself. Most of his wines range from S$30 - S$60.

Comment

Working...
                        X